Another monitoring garage door thread

Old 03-03-16, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another monitoring garage door thread

I know this has been posted a bazillian times here and I've looked through all the historical posts and I still can't make sense of a good solution. My situation: I have a Vista20p up and running with a 6160 and a 6150rf and Envisalink4. The garage is detached and running wires to it is a no go. The 6150rf is at the back door closest to the garage and probably 8-10 yards at most from the garage doors.

I would like to be able to do a couple of things: a) monitor the state of both garage doors and b) be able to remotely close them in case someone forgot to close the doors when leaving.

So checking the doors state seems straightforward to me. Perhaps I can use a regular wireless door sensor or even have to make the spend on the Honeywell tilt sensor. Door state seems straightforward.

Where we run into the problem is actuating the doors. What would be ideal is if Honeywell had some sort of wireless relay setup where I could wire the relays in parallel with the door switches. The 5800RL calls itself out as a wireless relay module but I don't know if it's compatible with the 20P and if it provides me the wireless relays I need.

Further, and I know I might get a big chastise here from the professionals: I would like to use the bottom two special keys on the 6150rf panel as the actuation of these two mythical wireless relays. It would be nice to be able just push a button on the Honeywell panel and get the garage door to open.

Failing that I am thinking about putting a wireless Raspberry Pi unit in the garage and use the GPIOs to actuate relays/look at door state. Put a webserver on it and do some simple programming for a web page/open port on router and instant remote operation/monitoring of garage door. Although this would be a fun project to do with the kids I still see using the 20P as the cleanest route. I want to be able to use those two special keys from inside the house to actuate those garage doors.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-16, 02:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
The 5800RL really only works with the Lynx series alarm controls, same with the 5877 relay module.

The easy way to handle an overhead door with a wireless transmitter is to get a hardwired Overhead Door contact, and connect that to your 5816 transmitter hardwired input. The tilt sensor is really intended for the old style tilting panel doors, as opposed to the segmented panel doors.

https://www.security.honeywell.com/h...ial/25398.html

Old 03-04-16, 12:22 PM
C
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
Is there any particular reason you don't want to use a key fob transmitter to close your garage doors? Like a key fob you could use when you go outside to check your mail or collect a newspaper and notice the garage door was left open? Linear is a reputable company that offers generic receivers to close relays remotely, mostly used to operate garage doors.

If I was insistent on using a macro button on the keypad, I would open up a generic (3rd party) remote transmitter and wire the button to a relay driven by a V-20P's Macro function. (but I personally prefer a remote I can carry around or place at need.)

Old 03-04-16, 12:48 PM
S
Is there any particular reason you don't want to use a key fob transmitter to close your garage doors? Like a key fob you could use when you go outside to check your mail or collect a newspaper and notice the garage door was left open? Linear is a reputable company that offers generic receivers to close relays remotely, mostly used to operate garage doors.

If I was insistent on using a macro button on the keypad, I would open up a generic (3rd party) remote transmitter and wire the button to a relay driven by a V-20P's Macro function. (but I personally prefer a remote I can carry around or place at need.)
A 5877 relay module wired to your garage door controller would allow this with any Honeywell wireless key fob. You can program a Honeywell fob button directly into the relay so that pressing the button (when in range of the 5877) would change the state of the door.

Old 03-04-16, 03:39 PM
C
Sterling, that would work with an attached garage but this is a detached garage--about 10 yards or so from the house and not conducive to running a wire between.

Old 03-04-16, 04:20 PM
S
The setup I described doesn't use the panel at all. As long the 5877 has power and is wired to the garage door controller, it will activate when a Honeywell (or probably any) fob button that's programmed to it is pressed.

Check the 5877 Install Guide if you have MyWebTech access and it details how you can simply learn a fob button to the wireless relay.

Old 03-04-16, 05:04 PM
C
Oops, sorry Sterling, my bad. I wasn't paying attention and thought you were talking about something else. I need to keep more up-to-date on new products.

Haven't seen the 5877 before. Handy item. Gotta get me one of those.

Old 03-04-16, 05:26 PM
J
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I don't know why you would limit yourself to just using your alarm keypad nowdays.

If you have a Liftmaster , Chamberlin, Genie (or most other) fairly recent garage door openers take a look a the MYQ web controlled garage door device with a smart phone app. Check the compatibility list. Older garage door openers won't work with the MYQ device because of wireless incompatibility.

If the MY Q IS incompatible with your operners, look at the GoGoGate 2. Same results except it activates the openers with a dry contact closure instead of wireless.

The added benefits of doing it this way instead of through the alarm system is that you get opening and closing and status alerts, can open/close the garage doors from wherEVER you are. You don't even have to get up from watching TV to go to the alarm keypad. You can even get a camera to see the garage doors from wherever you are. But that'll cost you about $20 or so bucks a year. Otherwise after you buy the product the controller app is free.

Old 03-04-16, 09:31 PM
L
Do you have wifi to your garage? I just saw a Kickstarter for a thing called a Garadget. It is a wifi-enabled sensor that mounts on the wall and can tell if the door is open or closed. It wires into the button-press input of your garage door opener - they almost all have that! - and can open and close the door.

You can get to the state of the door from a web page or smartphone. Home integration systems support was coming later.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...door-futurizer

Old 03-05-16, 09:02 AM
Thank you for all the replies. My thoughts on the subject:

1) I looked at the MYQ stuff and it's all well and good but I have two doors so my out the door cost appears to be somewhere around $150 or more. Plus now you have one more system on the deal. Another website to monitor instead of the one I have with the Envisilink4.
2) Carrying around more keyfobs is cumbersome. We already have the two keys for the cars which are as large as the keyfobs themselves. It's just one more thing in the pocket along with the keys. I know, I am being whiny on this point but there's the WAF(wife approved factor) here.
3) One of the keypads are currently at the backdoor nearest garage. It's the door we use to go to the garage so it would make sense to use some buttons on the keypad. Currently we have one of the openers hanging on the wall to actuate the doors. I know this is a security hole because if a burglar gains entry to the house then they could get to the garage. But, if they're in the house that means they either tripped the alarm or somehow knew the code.

Here's my plan:

1) I looked at my garage doors and I can mount a 5816 wireless sensor to the top of the doors with a custom bracket. Yes, I am concerned alignment issues but I understand there's a 0.75" available distance between magnet and sensor. Should be enough slop there so it doesn't misalign.
2) I am going to use an esp8266 board + relays to open/close the door. $23 out the door + any old Android charging brick.

http://www.amazon.com/2-Channel-Modu...words=5V+Relay

http://www.amazon.com/SparkFun-ESP82...arkfun+esp8266

The esp8266 with a little bit of nominal programming(easily found on the internet) can be setup with a webserver(password protected of course) and actuate the GPIOs to drive the relay board. Relay contacts wired in parallel with the doorbell switches on the door openers. Put the esp8266 as a static IP and open a port to it. Voila: Open and close the doors from any browser.

The next step is how do we get signals from the Vista20P to the esp8266? Is there any way the Envisalink can recognize a key press on the pads and pass it along to the esp8266? Need to do some more digging. At worst case what I could do is add another esp8266 to the relays on the Vista 20P and when I see a close event(programmed to the keys) there it could pass it along to the other esp8266 in the garage.

Yeah, I know sounds like a giant rube goldberg machine but I am shooting for the goal of controlling everything through the 20P and the Envisalink module. Then I have one URL to monitor and control everything. And part of this is to see if I can do it. It's an intellectual exercise. If it was purely about $$$ then the MYQ system makes the most sense.