DIY Security System..

Old 03-07-16, 11:31 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY Security System..

Looking to add a security system to the house we are gearing up to build..

Currently debating wireless vs wired. I really like the idea behind something like Samsung SmartThings, but I'm also looking at wired.

I grew up with a Certified Alarm system. But am looking at installing my own.

I'm honestly not too worried about having it actively monitored, I don't really see the value in my area to the fees, mainly because we live in the boonies.

Average response time is 20+ minutes.

I have 3 fairly large, very good "protective" dogs that will be roaming the yard at night so that is our first line of defense.

What I would mainly like is the ability to alert myself/family of something is up in the middle of the night. I'd like fire detectors/CO2 detectors to all alert in conjunction - looking at Kidde units.

Window sensors, door sensors, etc. I'd like to add cameras that I can actively monitor if I feel like it, via an iPad.

I'm not interested in monthly fees for someone to call the police for me and let them show up 35 minutes later. I don't need to call the fire department - I live in the land of volunteer departments, God bless them for their services but quick response isn't on their abilities list, just due to the system they operate under.

I'd also prefer to install it myself while the house is going up.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a decent system to start thinking about?

Old 03-07-16, 04:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Since you are building, go with hardwired. It's more robust, and you will get more functionality for a given dollar amount (wireless contacts are going to cost, 3-5 times more per opening).

Any of the major brands will do what you want, Honeywell Vista, DSC, Concord, Networx, etc. Any of they will do what you want.

Interconnected smoke alarms/Co detectors don't have to be integrated into the security system (and the standard ones _shouldn't_ be connect to the system). The ones that are made for system use do tend to be a much higher quality, though.

For cameras go with standalone IP cameras or a networked DVR system (video is a separate system from intrusion, despite the way the mass marketers advertise it).

Old 03-09-16, 01:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would go hard wired for sure. Wireless is okay if you are doing an install in a finished house and cannot snake wires to certain areas. I like Napco Gemini systems. I have installed several for myself and family members but they are not the easiest systems to program.

Old 03-09-16, 02:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Napco does make very good systems, with a few cool, and unique features; but they are on the far end of the DIY learning curve, in my opinion, so I don't generally recommend them on these forums.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: