Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ademco vista-20se

My keypad will not arm. The display is just the number 5 and "not ready"

Old 04-05-16, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,423 Upvotes on 3,069 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Have you checked to see if zone 5 is violated ?

Old 04-05-16, 06:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 265 Upvotes on 244 Posts
Do you know what openings or devices are supposed to be on zone 5?

Old 04-05-16, 08:47 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
your keypad will not arm as long as your display shows 'not ready' [with a numeral].

Old 04-06-16, 01:45 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I tried to narrow it down but got the same number for many windows. I checked to make sure that they are closed tightly but couldn't narrow it down further.

Old 04-06-16, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,423 Upvotes on 3,069 Posts
It is very likely you have multiple points (windows) on one zone. You may be required to check each window switch for a problem.

Go to every location in the house, activate the point and write down what zone that point shows up on. In the end you'll most likely end up with several windows (or a door) that doesn't show up as faulted. Those points are on the faulted zone (5) and will have to be checked individually.

I use a tone tracer on the faulted zone to locate the problem point but that takes a little practice and a toner.

What kind of switches are you dealing with..... round magnetic press-ins, surface mount magnetic, momentary/mechanical plungers ?

Old 04-07-16, 02:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 265 Upvotes on 244 Posts
If you are lucky, they did a "home run" with a pair of wires from each opening, which are then combined into zones at the head end.

Take a look at your system motherboard enclosure. If you look at the zone 5 connections you should see multiple 2 conductor wires daisy chained together.

If so, then the troubleshoot is easier: You can disconnect the zone wiring from the input and check each pair with a meter or continuity tester to see which one reads as open. If you find the open pair, you then bridge across the open by using alligator clips or just stripping back and twisting the pair together.

Reconnect the zone to it's input and turn on the chime.

Open and close each door/window that you know to be on zone 5. The one that doesn't chime is the bad one. It'll be either a missing magnet or a failed contact, with a remote chance that the wire is damaged in the wall or attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: