Doorbell Transformer for Vivint Home Security

Old 06-26-16, 02:09 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Doorbell Transformer for Vivint Home Security

I'm having to change my old doorbell transformer due Vivint home security doorbell camera burning it out. I bought a transformer that will convert it to either 8-16-24 vac. Vivint wants 24 so I hooked my two wires to the outside posts which appear to be the 24 vac. I turned my power back on and I had no power and the transformer seemed to be hot. Any tips or ideas?

Old 06-26-16, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Those cameras use very little power. The transformer shouldn't even get warm.

I doubt the camera burned out the transformer. Sounds more like a short. Possibly at the back of the camera where it's attached.

Old 06-26-16, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I was looking into this further but could not find what the current requirements are for that doorbell camera. I would think a 24v 10va transformer would be plenty.

Apparently it's a guarded Vivint secret.

Old 06-26-16, 06:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Simple test: Check for voltage with transformer disconnected from the field wiring. If voltage is correct, connect field wiring. If voltage drops to zero, then the field wiring, or the end device has a dead short. Check voltage at device end. If voltage is correct at wires at device end, but drops out when connected, then you have a failed device.

Wire from load to source. Test from source to load.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: