Need ideas for unique monitoring situation

Old 08-13-16, 09:16 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need ideas for unique monitoring situation

We have a house that will be vacant for more than 50% of the year -- it's almost done with renovations now, and one thing I am thinking of adding is the Ring Doorbell Pro. The issue with the Ring (and I believe, any other similar IP-cameras) is that it needs an internet connection to be useful. Since the house will be unoccupied for most of the year, I'm trying to figure out if it's even cost-effective to sign up for an internet plan/contract all year round, rather than just when the occupants are in town?

Does anyone who has encountered this situation have any ideas/suggestions?

Old 08-13-16, 09:27 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I can't answer your question but in my area leaving a home empty for a month is an open invitation to squatters.

Old 08-13-16, 09:43 AM
D
Thanks Furd. Definitely a legitimate concern but in our case we live right across the street from the house so the risk is mitigated somewhat.

Old 08-13-16, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If you live across from the house why does it need to be watched remotely ?
Am I missing something ?

Old 08-13-16, 10:54 AM
D
I'm not home most of the day due to work, plus we have had a spate of package thefts in the neighborhood lately. Also, having something like the Ring doorbell would help to mitigate potential squatting, I.e. when the potential squatter rings the doorbell, I'm able to answer remotely, and they thus think someone is home.

Old 08-13-16, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Then use the Ring but have it connect to your network.
It may require a WiFi extender in the window of your house.

Old 08-13-16, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
The only reason I can see owning two houses across the street from each other, is because you'll be renting one out. If this is the case, then why wouldn't you just build in the cost of the Internet in the monthly price?
If it's a guest house of sorts, then it would seem worth it, to me, to have any sort of security there, no matter what it costs.
You can always put up blinds or shades so no one can look in and set up timers to randomly turn on and off lights, so it looks like someone's home.

Old 08-13-16, 05:31 PM
D
Thanks for the suggestions, Shade! The house is for my retired parents, who globetrot a lot and hence won't be using this particular one a whole lot during the year. We've talked about letting it out (via Airbnb or perhaps only to known friends) when it's vacant but that's all very preliminary. At this point the assumption is that it will be sitting empty when not in use.

Old 08-13-16, 06:15 PM
A
Depending on your budget, Supercircuits.com will have options for you.
I've setup IP camera systems where the cameras are on light poles and buildings, then I use a transmitter to send all the data (video) back to the NVR in the main office 3/4 of a mile down the road. Works perfectly, last time I bought the equipment it was $220.00 for the 2 antennas.
They have a sales and tech support department that will set you up with everything you need.
You could also use the above idea to just get internet service to that house and then you can run an analog system and remote view it.

Old 08-13-16, 06:22 PM
D
Thanks alarmguy! Will look into that. At the end of the day I really just want something minimal, but with recording+alerts, at least at the front door. Cost is also a consideration, of course.

Old 08-13-16, 08:04 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
For minimal cost WiFi should work if you have the transceivers at the front of both houses. This would have the monitored house using your WiFi signal and then everything would be on your network. That is, unless "across the street" is really a half-mile away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: