Creating a silent alarm

Old 11-06-16, 11:19 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Creating a silent alarm

I am writing this in hopes that anyone would be able to provide me step by step instructions that would help turn my alarm system into a silent/visual alarm.

I currently have an alarm system that has sensors on both the windows and the doors and if the alarm is set and those windows or doors open the alarm will sound.

What I am wanting to achieve is to have a visual alarm (silent alarm) instead of an audible alarm.

What I am thinking of is somehow taking those window and door contact wires to some type of trigger switch/device (normally open or normally closed) and instead of bringing them to the alarm box creating something that once the contact is open a signal would be sent to a flashing light/led that would notify me that a door or window has been open. I would like to add one extra step that has a sensor on my bedroom door (which I will explain why shortly)
This new setup does not need and on or off switch or keypad it will be on at all times but I would like this system to operate in the following manner:

• Bedroom door is closed and an exterior window or door has been opened the light would light up or flash.
• If the bedroom door is open and an exterior window or door has been opened the light would not light up or flash.

I know some people are out there wondering why I don’t just use my alarm as it is designed for. One reason is that we don’t have a key panel by the back door and we have dogs that need letting out in the back yard at night to do their business and I’m tired of me or the wife forgetting to turn the alarm off and then the alarm sounding and waking everyone and the neighbors at all hours of the night. I sleep in a dark room and if the doors or windows would open it would send a signal to a flashing light would wake me up notifying me that someone is in my home.

The reason for adding the extra bedroom door sensor:

The reason for this is because me and my wife sleep in the bedroom with the door closed so if the door is closed and the light is flashing then that means some is in my house and action need to be taken but if me or my wife are letting the dogs out our bedroom door is open which would break the power chain and not allow the light to light up or flash.

Basically the door sensor would act as a on/off switch for the flashing light (silent alarm)
• If the door is closed then the loop is connected and power can go to the light
• If the door is open then the loop has a break in it and light does not get power and will not light up.

I am sure this is a simple fix with someone who has a good working knowledge of normally open normally closed switches/devices but I have the understanding just no clue where to get them or how to find/ install them

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Old 11-06-16, 01:19 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Stopping the audible alarm is easy, just disconnect the wires between the noisemaker and the alarm panel. The rest is a bit more complicated and it would help if we knew the manufacturer and model of the alarm system.

Old 11-06-16, 06:46 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i would like to do away with the alarm system if possible and just use the current wires that run from the window and door contacts to create some type of

If window or doors open then the circuit is complete and power can be sent to light
in the bedroom

But

if bedroom door is closed the power can travel to the light in bedroom
if bedroom door is open theres a break in the loop and the power can not light the light in bedroom

Old 11-06-16, 07:16 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Yes, it can be done but I'm not going to do the design work. I used to get paid quite handsomely for doing similar work. I'm retired now.

Old 11-07-16, 02:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Yes, it can be done.

What is the brand/model of your existing system?

Some systems can be reconfigured to do what you want fairly easily. The siren, for example, can be swapped for a flashing strobe on _most_ systems.

Some systems would allow you to program the door contact input to be a trigger to shut off the siren/strobe or disarm the system. There are others where it's difficult, or impossible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: