Want to build alarm system for the deaf

Old 12-28-16, 08:44 PM
Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to build alarm system for the deaf

Hi all, this is my first post, probably won't be my last. I'm buying a house that's prewired for some security. Previous owner never used it, but it appears to work. I have some complex goals as there will be 2 deaf adults who need to operate the system. I'm looking to avoid having a stack of false alarms due to someone walking past the armed system without noticing it's armed and just casually sitting there as the system alerts authorities.

My hope is to use a system that's capable of reporting to some sort of local server based on state changes. I can figure out what to do with it from there, I'm thinking I'll use some phillips hue lights that will react to the system's state by flashing, and/or changing colors.

Anyone know a good panel to look at or even where to start looking?

Old 12-29-16, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts
Tricky situation. Alarm systems use 12vdc for their outputs and aux power. Depending on what existing system you already have, you may be able to come up with output devices and monitoring/control options that will suit your unique situation.

This is one of those instances where looking at the DSC power series panels is a pretty good starting place, because of all of the brands on the market, they have one of the more flexible sets of programmable outputs, and a ton of option modules.

DSC

Old 01-25-17, 06:59 AM
Z
turns out it's a dsc pc1616 with an it-100 board. I *think* it's up to the task, but maybe a bit small as far as zones. Looks like I'll need to tie it into a home automation system of some kind to do what I want.

Old 01-25-17, 03:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can always upgrade to a PC 1832 or 1864. Scaling up is easier when you don't have a huge amount of installed devices to start with. The new board will fit in the same mounts in your enclosure.

Old 02-07-17, 11:49 AM
Z
anyone have any experience with the Envisalink boards? Looks like they may play nicer with home automation stuff than the it-100. Worth the $120ish to upgrade?

Old 02-07-17, 07:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot of users have reported very good results with this add-on.

Old 02-08-17, 09:34 AM
B
You can get various modules for alarm systems which can activate house lights or plug-in electrical devices.

With that said, I would wire the lights in every room to flash on/off for an alarm or "check/service" condition.

And you can get something like a vibrating foot massager, stick it under a mattress, then have the alarm activate that as well with a module. Then their bed will shake if the alarm goes off (as well as lights flashing). Lights alone would not wake me up.

Old 02-09-17, 11:07 AM
M
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just an FYI.

There are vibration notification appliances for the deaf, such as pillow or bed shakers, that are required and are currently activated by the sound of a smoke alarm. They should work for a security alarm as well.

Old 02-10-17, 02:18 PM
Z
I'm familiar with them. Most of them are actually pretty poor (or extremely expensive, priced for organizations, not individuals). I'm also more concerned about keeping the siren from going off in the first place. When you come in the front door, a hearing person will hear the panel complaining at a reasonable volume that the system needs to be disarmed. A deaf person can easily miss it. I'm looking to tie things into a home automation schema to make simple light cues for that and the fire alarm. The people in question are very sensitive to light, a flashing red/white or blue/white light in the bedroom will wake them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: