In car camera to catch a car scratcher

Old 01-07-17, 01:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In car camera to catch a car scratcher

Hi, I'm looking for an in car camera system (powered by an axillary battery if possible) that can possibly take time lapse photos (night time of poss), there is a serial car scratcher in our area. The trouble is where we park is very poorly lite. Any help would be great.

Old 01-07-17, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Welcome to our forums

If you are referring to a dash cam they are mot meant for continuous recording.
Also their narrow field of view would mean you would need several to cover the whole vehicle.

What would be helpful is a security camera system and a DVR to record the culprits.

Old 01-07-17, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
A game/trail camera might work if you have a place to mount it. They have built in motion detectors and start around $50 going up to over $200.

Old 01-08-17, 03:07 AM
S
Thanks, but I've tried that and the motion detection does not work through glass

Old 01-08-17, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It wouldn't be mounted inside the car but rather on a tree or building.

Old 01-08-17, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I also think a game camera would be a good option if you have a place to mount it. All have built in LED infra red flash so they can take pictures in low/no light conditions. There are two types of flash. The cheaper and more common ones emit a dull red glow when the flash illuminates so the camera can be visible to the vandal. Some trail cameras have "black" flashes that are completely invisible to the human eye and are even more stealthy. You can look right at them and not see any "flash".

Old 01-08-17, 08:13 AM
S
Hi. Thanks for the info. I am thinking that maybe my only option. But I was hoping that someone may have an idea/knowledge on something for inside the car on a time lapse

Old 01-08-17, 09:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You would need a half dozen cameras or more from inside the car.

Old 01-08-17, 10:19 AM
S
Hi. Yea, I willing to look at lots of options, as it's gonna cost hundreds to get the car resprayed, so I may as well spent it on cameras. A system that can run off an axillary battery would be great

Old 01-08-17, 01:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
A camera or cameras inside the car can be done for a reasonable price. Their power draw is minimal so they can be powered off a separate battery or the car's electrical system. The problem is illumination. You need light to take a picture. Illuminating someone outside the car really can't be done from inside the car. The lights will likely reflect on the glass making getting a good photo difficult.

Keep in mind that cameras do not really prevent your car from being scratched. If the cameras are known and visible they might be a deterrent. Visible cameras may themselves become a target and draw unwanted attention to your vehicle. That's a judgement call you'll have to make.

And... a picture of someone does not pay for your car to be re-painted. First, that person needs to be identified. Will your photos be able to see the act being committed? A picture from a camera inside the car of someone outside is not of itself incriminating. If you can't see what they (their hands) are doing your photos may be largely useless. Then, suppose you get a great photo of someone keying your car and you know who they are. Now you much bring a criminal case. If the police can't or won't do anything you can bring a small claims against them which also carries a fee which you must pay. What I'm getting at is that a photo is no silver bullet. In the unlikely chance you get the perfect photo there is still a lot of work to be done and none of it guarantees anyone paying you for damages.

Old 01-08-17, 03:20 PM
S
Thanks so much for the reply.
You have given me food for thought.
I was hoping with photo's from front side and rear, and if undeniably proven the police would have to prosecute and then I'd get them to pay for the a re-spray.
If not humiliation on social media.
Do you know of any systems out there

Old 01-08-17, 06:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Does a wrong doer feel pressure from social media for doing what they do?

Old 01-09-17, 03:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
.... and even if you can prove who did the damage, a judgement might be all you can get - no guarantee you'll get any actual cash to pay for the repairs.

There has been more than one criminal caught locally because he bragged about some portion of the crime on social media.

Old 01-14-17, 02:37 AM
S
Great suggestion GregH. Where can I get one

Old 01-14-17, 03:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
security camera system and a DVR to record the culprits
Something like this - 4 Channel Wireless Surveillance System with 2 Cameras

If you google security camera systems you'll find all kinds of options and prices.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: