New system required, wireless, distance, brand, reliability, options, thoughts

Old 02-05-17, 12:17 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New system required, wireless, distance, brand, reliability, options, thoughts

Hi Folks,
Looking to install a new system, not worth updating the old, key features I want
1. Main board and wireless system remote in roof or basement, so I don't want any entry keypads to have devices talking to them, so if a keypad is smashed off the wall it doesn't affect anything else.

This is to go into a house about 35 yards x 16 yards, 2 levels, wireless sensors must be able to communicate back to panel in roof or basement etc. Alternatively I can hard wire and extra wireless receiver into one level.
36 x window/door, 14 x break glass, 20 x motion, 10 x panic, 4 x entry keypad, 5 x remote/panic, plus extra 15 wireless and 15 wired for further expansion, IR beams etc.
What brand/models available

2. Looking for interfacing of sensors across different brands if possible, so if I go with Honeywell 5800's hopefully they will interface with other reputable brands, so if I decide on a Vista 20P or similar, and it doesn't suit down the track I can change to something else.
What brand/models

3. I also want to bring in 2 separate outbuildings into this as well, not sure how, probably wired from separate panels, they would need -
Sleepout - 9 x Door/window, 3 glass, 4 motion, 2 keypad, 2 remote/panic
Shed - 3 Door, 2 motion, 1 Glass, 2 keypad
Outbuilding panel options?

4. Thinking of the possibility of an Envisalink or similar for extra functions.
Others or comments?

5. Sensors, Door/windows, long life preferred, 3 years if possible on a battery, Glass break, similar if possible, motion, how long can you get?

6. Wireless signal strength, which ones re better for distance? Brands/model

7. What about dual motion/microwave, advantages/dis/cost?

8. Panic switches, need to install some hidden wireless panics recessed into different places, some wired possibly what options?

9. Remote/panic for access x 5 a possibility, any better than others?

10 . 4 x entry keypads. Brands/models?

Price is a concern, but if I find something more expensive with good features I will justify it somehow I expect.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 02-05-17, 06:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
With security hardware, there is a certain degree of "you get what you pay for". Cheap security hardware is going to have limits and gaps, or simply be hard to use or be inflexible.

Wireless is pretty much brand specific. There are a few translator schemes that allow some crossover configuration between different brands transmitters, but with varying degrees of success. Look at the features of the brands and models, and get the one that comes closest to your wish list.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: