Are alarm companies trying to lock out the diy crowd?

Old 02-18-17, 08:24 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are alarm companies trying to lock out the diy crowd?

I was reading up on the new lyric system. Apparently you need a alarmnet 360 account to even program the thing? Also it doesn't even have a bell output? That just sounds silly. I'm guessing its to keep people from leveraging that output with a relay to prevent self monitoring. I think dsc is also locking their newer units. Even my first alarm which is a old school lynx sounds better.

I'm all for encrypted wireless but it seems the keypad bus on future panels will most likely be encrypted to prevent modules like the envisalink from being used. I'm wondering if they are going to release a more restricted hardwired panel before making a standalone receiver for the six sensors?

I guess what I'm asking is if their eventual plans are to lock out all the diy crowd from the programming and or lock you into their approved monitoring services? I will most likely stay with elk panels in the future as they seem to be a more diy friendly company.

Most home owners are choosing ipcam systems since they are made for diy and have all kinds of notification options built in. I run blue iris also and all the options are impressive. Many cams have alarm inputs as well that you could hook up a loop of sensors and have it function much in the same way as a traditional alarm.

IMO give people the option to self monitor their system and not coerce them into monthly fee's.

Old 02-18-17, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,836 Posts
I install mostly Bosch alarm systems which are proprietary (dealer) systems. The programming is done primarily from a laptop. I haven't installed an outside audible in a residence in ten years.

I don't in particularly follow the newest and the hottest alarm systems but I do cross paths with other alarm systems. I've always been fond of the Vista 20 series of panels as DIY friendly.

As far as camera systems.... I use all IP cameras but they are not tied into the alarm system. The cameras use a standalone NVR (network video recorder) and it provides the remote camera access and viewing.

I probably didn't answer your question completely. The forum pro, Mr Ron, should be by as well as the other guys that stop thru here.

Old 02-18-17, 09:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
The simple answer, is that the alarm industry largely considers DIY installations to be a secondary market, at best. They won't warranty or accept liability for non-professional, UL standard installations; which most DIY solutions do not meet the standards of.

They design their systems to be oriented toward professionally installed and monitored standards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: