Creating a Silent Alarm

Old 02-27-17, 06:39 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Creating a Silent Alarm

I am writing this in hopes that anyone would be able to provide me with some sort of step by step instructions that would help turn my alarm system into a silent/visual alarm.

I currently have an alarm system that has sensors on both the windows and the doors and if the alarm is set and those windows or doors open the alarm will sound.

What I am wishing to achieve is to turn my alarm system into some sort of a visual alarm (silent alarm) instead of an audible alarm.

The idea/ direction I am thinking of is somehow taking those window and door contact wires to some type of trigger switch/device (a relay) and instead of bringing them to the alarm box creating something that once the contact is open a signal would be sent to a flashing light/led that would notify me that a door or window has been open.

My main issue is that I am not familiar with relays and setting them up. I know that they are basically a switch but that is the extent of my relay knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is how I want the system to operate

• If Windows/Doors are Closed and the Contacts are touching then there is no power sent to the LED therefore the LED does not light up.
• If Windows/Doors are Opened and the Contacts are separated then power sent to the LED therefore the LED lights up.

I know some people are out there wondering why I don’t just use my alarm as it is designed for. One reason is that we don’t have a key panel by the back door and we have dogs that need letting out in the back yard at night to do their business and I’m tired of me or the wife forgetting to turn the alarm off and then the alarm sounding and waking everyone and the neighbors at all hours of the night. I sleep in a dark room and if the doors or windows would open it would send a signal to a flashing light would wake me up notifying me that someone is in my home.

I am sure this is a simple fix with someone who has a good working knowledge of normally open normally closed switches/devices but I have the understanding just no clue where to get them or how to find/ install them.

Name:  Silent Chart.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  9.3 KB

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Old 02-27-17, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ent-alarm.html

You didn't get much help previously because it's not really clear what you want.
You want to completely disconnect the alarm system. No more alarm.

You want how many windows and doors to operate an LED ?
What is an LED going to do ?

A flashing light would wake you up ?

Why not just not set the alarm.

Old 02-27-17, 07:24 PM
B
I want to completely disconnect the current alarm system.
All i want to use from this system is the door and window contacts that are already in place.

For starters and simplicity i would say if i can get it to work with just one window or one door then i can get the rest to work but for test and proof of concept i just want to use a single door or window contact.

I have a super bright LED that flashes once power is supplied to the LED

I sleep in total darkness and so once this bright LED starts to flash then yes i will be awoken

I know some people are out there wondering why I don’t just use my alarm as it is designed for. One reason is that we don’t have a key panel by the back door and we have dogs that need letting out in the back yard at night to do their business and I’m tired of me or the wife forgetting to turn the alarm off and then the alarm sounding and waking everyone and the neighbors at all hours of the night.

Old 02-27-17, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You have relays or you need them ?
If you have them.....let us know what you have.

If you don't have anything I'll spec from amazon.
Do you have a 12vdc power supply? Doesn't need to be very big. An amp would be fine.

Old 02-28-17, 02:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
What is you existing base system?

There is nothing stopping you from replacing the standard siren with a visual device like a strobe or flashing LED.
Many also have ways to activate relays in specific ways.

Old 02-28-17, 07:11 AM
B
It is a 12vdc power supply and it does not have relays i wish to incorporate them as a switch to turn on and off the LED light

Old 02-28-17, 06:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
With 90% of all systems, the normal siren output _is_ a 12vdc output. That's why we are saying you can still use the existing system. Only a couple of specific systems have a speaker output instead.

Knowing your existing hardware may help us get you where you want to be with less expense and/or effort.

Old 02-28-17, 09:35 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If your system has any wireless devices, just put a keyfob [or a sticky note] next to the door.

If no wireless, program the door as an entry door, to give you time to disarm.

If it is an old system that has the LED and a keyswitch outside, then use that circuit. Most panels have onboard relays and supply the power needed so just run wires and program panel.

... and just use the system as intended.

Disconnect the outside siren and the neighbors will never know.
-----------------------

Last edited by tpring; 02-28-17 at 10:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: