Napco - how to clear a failure message

Old 02-28-17, 09:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Napco - how to clear a failure message

Hello, hoping someone out there has some insight.

I have a NAPCO security system with the NLMod TCP/IP module installed by my dealer . I have noticed that when my Internet Connection goes down the Keypads will display an Comm Failure E03-00 error. This error does NOT go away on its own when the Internet connection comes back online.

I was wondering if there is someway to reset this message without triggering the alarm to the monitoring company. This is the only way I have found to reset this error and my dealer did not know how to other than triggering an alarm.

I found a Napco manual that states to put my code in then hit funciton until "Activate Dialer Test" appears but I do not get this option cycling through.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-17, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,181 Votes on 1,094 Posts
On some alarms you enter the code plus off twice in a row.

[code] + OFF + [code] + OFF

Old 02-28-17, 07:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
If it needs to send and complete a communication, if there's not a reset command from the keypad; unplug the battery. It will send a low battery signal. It may take a few minutes, then you can reconnect the battery.

Check your user manual. There's usually a manual communicator test command.

What model is your system?

Old 03-01-17, 07:52 AM
J
Thanks for responding, guys.

My System is a GEM-P1632

Code [OFF] Code [OFF]. - this just arms my system after I put in my code and hit the On/OFF key the first time.

Reset on the keypad clears the error temporarily but after some minutes the E03 error comes back.

As I said. in my original post, I did find something in the manual that said to put my code in then hit function until "Activate Dialer Test" comes up but option never comes up for me, maybe because I am not using a telephone line.

The IP Module installed is NL-MOD-UL Netlink Module.

I have not tried removing the battery, yet (Actually, I have two of them in there). I assume I can pull either the black or red lead on both batteries for a few minutes then plug in?

thanks again

Old 03-01-17, 01:00 PM
J
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Enter your arm/disarm code and then push the Function button repeatedly until Activate Dialer Test appears on the display. Then push the enter button.

This works with a telephone line or Starlink Cellular connection to central as it checks the line for a dial tone. I'm not a fan of Internet reporting to central so I've never had the opportunity to try this with the Nl Mod.

Old 03-01-17, 02:07 PM
J
Jimmee, I tried that already - when I put my code in and cycle through the options - I do not get the Activate Dialer Test option.

Old 03-01-17, 03:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
On one of these, the dialer test function has to be turned on in the system configuration; and it sounds like they didn't turn it on (since they were using the internet communicator).

Try the command sequence on page 2 of this manual: http://www.napcosecurity.com/images/...4I.02_USER.pdf

Old 03-03-17, 08:38 PM
J
In that case you're only choice is to create alarm condition to clear the com failure.

Old 03-04-17, 05:49 AM
J
Thanks for all the replies.

Nothing seems to get me the Option to Activate Dialer Test option. Kind of crazy there is no simple way to do this. Even more crazy is that it doesn't figure out that the connection is back up on its own. It obviously can tell that the Internet connection goes down, it should be able to continue Poll or "ping" to figure out its back up, just seems like its not doing a check on its own after the connecton goes down.

Tried calling Napco myself yesterday - not a dealer so they wouldn't talk to me. WIll try my dealer again I suppose and see if I can push him to call Napco Support and see if there is a way.

Old 03-04-17, 06:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IP based alarm communicators are still somewhat in their infancy; and a lot of them still aren't "ready for prime time" (in my opinion).

The biggest problem is that most broadband services do drop signal, especially during maintenance procedures, and most people never notice it, because it's done during times the ISPs consider very low traffic hours. These communicators, however, check for connection to the receiver frequently.

Honestly, it sounds like whoever set up your communicator may have missed a step that would make this easier to correct.

Old 03-05-17, 04:42 PM
J
I could be wrong but I seem to remember that some of the Function button menu items on some of the older panels were only available if you used the dealer code before pressing the Function button.

Although I can't imagine why "Activate dialer test" would be restricted to the dealer only.

As MrRonFL says, IP communications and alarm panels are not really up to speed with many other devices. Which , along with the fact that it is not reliable, is the reason I'm not using that method. When it gets near as reliable as a phone line I'll give it a try.

Although. Cellular seems to be coming into it's own, however. I've got quite a few in service now and not one problem so far.