Neighborhood Burglary I Want To Be Proactive

Old 04-16-17, 06:59 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Neighborhood Burglary I Want To Be Proactive

Recently my neighborhood had a home burglary and the owners had their alarm on but evidently no motion sensors because the thieves kicked in a fixed window to gain entry.
So I want to add a couple of motion sensors as well as a couple of sirens inside the attic near a vent. In doing this, I have a DSC box/can 16V, 2.5A max and I want to run the wires from the sirens and motion sensors directly to the can and wire them into the Bell contacts where the one siren I have is connected.
Is this proper, will the can carry the extra amps properly? Or, can I wire or splice onto the one siren that I now have?
I'm tempted to hire a alarm company to come out and do a little wiring but if I can do it I'll have the satisfaction of a job done.

Old 04-16-17, 07:30 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
In large city such as I live in 90%-95% of the burglar alarms are false. The police know that and are overworked so response times are in hours. Burglars know this and reason that most who spend on alarms not physical security so the ones with alarms are the ones they hit because easiest to get into. It may be different in a smaller town if the cops are bored.

Old 04-16-17, 08:04 PM
H
I agree with you, but where I am if an alarm went off some of the neighbors would
pour out of their homes with a gun and confront the bad guys. Primarily the alarm is to alert neighbors.

Old 04-16-17, 08:47 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Very valid point if your lucky enough to have that kind of neighbors.

Old 04-17-17, 03:27 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You're assuming everybody has an alarm! Thieves would sooner bugler a home without an alarm before targeting any home with any type of alarm. Now the question is why would a home be targeted? If you're trying stop a random "drug addict" type burglary then I suppose any alarm will do. But if you're in a neighborhood the is prone to many break-ins or you might be targeted because of what you might have, then a more robust system is needed (guard dog?).

Old 04-17-17, 03:37 AM
H
Then I'll have my mother-in-law come over when we're gone. That'll take care of the burglars and the alarm problem.

Old 04-17-17, 03:52 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Funny!

My post was mainly aimed at Ray's reply.

I use SimpliSafe. Many people (professionals) scoff and point out weaknesses of that system. But all I want is a deterrent from the non-professional bugler. Similar to what you want. Also my neighborhood is relatively safe with maybe one break in per year. I don't have statistics, but I think many break-ins in relatively safe neighborhoods (typical suburbia) are from owner known people or non-criminal elements. I also have security cams on the outside of my house.

Old 04-17-17, 07:23 AM
B
So far as false alarms go... Way back when, alarms had "single detection method" motion detectors. Like ultrasonic, PIR, or Microwave. And these were prone to false alarms for one reason or another. Like a refrigerator or water cooler could emit an ultrasonic sound when running and set off the alarm. Headlights from a car could trip a PIR, etc.

Anyway they came out with "dual" detectors which incorporate two separate motion detection technologies. BOTH motion detectors must be set off for the alarm to trip! My favorite is the Visonic Duet pir/microwave.

These will prevent false alarms and I've never had any problems with them. I would not recommend connecting the "AM" or anti-masking option if you get that kind - those can false alarm if placed in a location like a stairway.

Note you can connect 3 separate zones to one Visonic AM... Motion, tamper, and anti-masking. Anti-masking is if someone sticks something in front of it to block its view. That would be more appropriate for a business where someone may try to disable it during the day - it could set off a trouble signal and you could nab the crook!

Here is info on these...
Duet-AM

Old 04-17-17, 07:27 AM
H
A dog probably is the best deterrent, you are very correct in that. However, the wife doesn't want to clean up after a dog and the last dog we had was somewhat retarded. We live in a neighborhood where every home has an alarm system but not all are monitored.
The home that was robbed backs up to a busy 2-lane road and has woods between the road and house. I've often commented to the wife that someone could Park their car on the road a traipse through the trees and rob a home unseen and that is what happened.
I'll look into Simply safe and see how they can help me. The thieves took jewelry, guns and other valuables from that home and too many people including the government wait until something happens and then they take action so it won't happen again and by that time the damage is done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: