Portable Video Security System - System Design Help

Old 04-22-17, 12:47 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable Video Security System - System Design Help

Hi,

I have some questions for video security systems. I would like to put a video security system in my vehicle that can monitor the outside of it for long periods of time. It seems that most prebuilt systems are limited to small 32GB storage. I would like to record possibly up to 10 hours of footage at one time so I need more than 32 GB. Once the max size has been reaches, it automatically overwrites the old footage.

So it appears I have to design the system myself. I was thinking of getting a 8 channel DVR box like this one and put the box underneath the seat or possibly in the trunk.
https://www.amazon.com/Evtevision-Re...evtevision+8CH
Name:  ArSHBr77QYuU._UX300_TTW_.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  8.7 KB

I would then like to hook up some micro cameras to it so that the system is discrete. Most of the all packaged systems come with huge cameras, and I need small discrete ones. So I was looking at possibly getting these
https://www.amazon.com/Corprit-Hidde...s=micro+camera
Name:  61k3uyq+elL._SL1100_.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  24.8 KB

I would then get a small display that I can have out on my dashboard while driving to assist me in driving in parking on my dashboard, which I would put underneath the seat while parked, and unplug it. Sort of like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/UOTOO-Display...l+hdmi+display
Name:  71z8MMX2k+L._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  37.3 KB

I would then need some sort of power bank to power this whole thing, which I would have in my trunk. I'm kinda lost on what type of large rechargeable battery I would need to power this system. It appears I would need lots of help with this. I found this but am unsure if this would work.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerHo...ker+powerhouse
Name:  51it1Ud58BL._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  19.1 KB

So overall my system would look something like this.
Name:  ArSHBr77QYuU._UX300_TTW_.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  21.3 KB
Does this look or sound feasible with the selected equipment? I would put something like a 1TB box in the DVR box, and put a camera in each light, one in each break light, one in each forward light, than one in each side mirror.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-17, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Converting 12vdc to 120v is too wasteful. Start by picking out a 12vdc recorder like in the link.

Pyle-PLCMDVR15-Mobile-Surveillance-Recording/dp/B00WR6ZRP8

Old 04-22-17, 01:17 PM
J
That looks good do u no how large of an ad card I could put in this?

Old 04-22-17, 01:23 PM
J
Also do u know what type of micro cameras would work with that?

Old 04-22-17, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
It takes standard composite video in so the cameras you linked to should work.

There may actually be a hard drive in it although that wouldn't seem likely.
Here is the link to the unit. There is a link for a manual there.

pyleaudio/sku/PLCMDVR15

Old 04-22-17, 02:30 PM
J
it looks like a nice product, but it's only up to 64 GB sd card, i think the one i originally linked to had 12 v input as well

Name:  61nqaGQdA7L._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  45.4 KB

but how do i get straight up 12 v from the circuit lighter 12 v terminal on the power bank in the first post and connect it to the 12 v terminal of the dvr box, or get 5v from the usb ports on the power bank to the red wire terminal for the cameras? This is were I'm confused.

The dvr box has a 12 v input female cylinder connection. The box comes with a 115 wall to 12 v male cylinder to go into the dvr box. But if I'm not using this how do I just use the 12 v cigarette lighter on the power bank to get 12 v to the dvr? Most cigarette lighters I see some how convert it down to 5 v for cell phones.

And since the cameras have the red wire for some sort of male pin with the intention of using some sort of ac wall adapter that converts it to 5v, but I can just use the 5 v usb port and some how power the cameras?

Old 04-22-17, 03:31 PM
T
Don't use the power bank. You don't need it, it's just a waste of $500. Everything can be straight wired to 12V in the vehicle (you'd need a 12V-5V DC-DC converter but that's not any big deal). The cameras only use a couple hundred mA each, the DVR and display would need maybe an amp. This is not a high current application. It could all be plugged into the power port.. However, seeing as you're actually installing the microcameras and wiring/mounting everything, this is hardly a "portable" system, it's a permanently installed mobile system. So you should hardwire the power too.

What you need to do is install a battery box and a small deep cycle battery (a boat battery) in the trunk, and wire it to your charging system using a battery isolator. Basically it allows your alternator to recharge the aux battery but it doesn't allow the constant drain equipment to drain your starting battery. All of this would still cost far less than that power bank and be far more power efficient.

You also need to ditch the idea of using an actual hard drive. It would be destroyed with the first big pothole you hit. 90mph spinning platters and magnetic heads a fraction of the size of a human hair with a space between them thinner than a speck of dust are not very tolerant of high G/high vibration environments. That's why DVRs that are made for mobile use generally use SD/MicroSD cards. If you want the capacity of a hard drive while being robust enough for a mobile installation, you need to use an SSD - but be prepared, they are far more expensive than a hard drive. A 1TB costs about $400.

I'm genuinely curious.. Why do you need so many cameras?

And I would absolutely not use this as a backup/parking assist system either, because there will be a lag from camera to monitor, and it will be incredibly clunky to use - especially using a cheap POS DVR with its Chinglish interface. If you want a backup camera, buy a backup camera system.

Old 04-22-17, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
You need to locate a video recorder that doesn't use a mechanical hard drive.

Ultimately you will need to set this up on a second battery. I haven't added up all the current draws of your items but it will probably kill your vehicle battery overnight.

If those cameras run on 5vdc then you would purchase an item like in this link... 12v+dc+to+5v+dc+converter

When you get the DVR it comes with a 120v to 12vdc wall adapter. On that adapter will be the polarity of the plug. Usually, but not always, the center pin is hot and the outer shell is ground. You MUST put a fuse in the + line before connecting to 12vdc.

You can also buy those power cables for the DVR. It's called a coaxial power cord and it will come with the polarity you order and a fuseholder.

When working with 12vdc equipment in a car.... everything has its own protection fuse because a reverse connection to the battery can be very destructive.

Old 04-23-17, 07:09 AM
B
Check out wiring diagrams for Trucks which are designed for RV towing and have two batteries. They also have automatic recharging built in for when the vehicle is running. And the truck always uses the other battery for starting/running - the RV will not drain the main truck battery - you will not get stranded!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: