Connecting Alexa and 2Gig sensors

Old 07-21-17, 12:51 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting Alexa and 2Gig sensors

I just bought a house with a Vivint system in it. It seems like a hassle to rework the Vivint system. So my question is, are there any other security system hubs I can use to integrate Alexa with my existing security home window and door sensors?

Old 07-21-17, 02:28 PM
A
I don't have a new hub in mind yet. I know I want to integrate Alexa with my existing sensors, and need some hub to make that happen, I know. The one that is in here now is a Vivint (2GIG), but I have to buy a new communications card and update the firmware. I'd rather just get a new unit, run with Alarm.com and Alexa and call it good with my existing sensors (and add a couple of cameras).

Old 07-22-17, 12:28 PM
J
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
I didn't research to find out if it was compatible with your system or not but the Samsung SmartThings hub seems to be the most popular hub to use with Alexa at this point.
Give it a look.

Old 07-24-17, 04:17 AM
S
If you have 2Gig sensors now, and you want Alarm.com integration (for the Alexa tie-in), you'll need to get a new Alarm.com communicator for the Vivint system and then sign up with a company that offers Alarm.com service. There are companies that offer less expensive monitoring plans with Alarm.com access without central station service.

If you have the new Vivint Sky panel, you will need to change out the panel to a 2GIG GC2 (older model) or GC3 (newer and better) panel in addition to getting the new communicator.

If you have a branded GC2 panel now, then you just need the new communicator.

Do you know what Vivint panel you have now and what firmware it's running?

Old 07-26-17, 03:23 PM
A
Yeah, it's the GC2 (2Gig-b 3.42 z-wave version) and the firmware is 1.96. I guess it is just eaasier to go with replacing the communications panel than getting another head unit/hub...

Old 07-27-17, 06:49 AM
S
I assume you mean firmware version 1.9.6. If so, you can use either the AT&T GC3GA-A cellular unit or the Verizon GCCDMV-A cellular unit.

If you wanted the new Verizon LTE model (LTEV-A-GC2) you would need to first upgrade the panel's firmware to version 1.17.

There are multiple ways to update the panel's firmware (using a firmware update cable or an updater tool).

Once you have the right firmware for the communicator of your choice, you need to find an Alarm.com provider that can get you the Alarm.com service. Most will offer that bundled with central station plans but there are companies that offer Alarm.com without central station service at a reduced monthly rate.

Once you have Alarm.com access, you'll be able to tie in your system control through Alexa using the Alarm.com Alexa skill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: