Just moved in, how to turn on system?

Old 07-31-17, 10:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just moved in, how to turn on system?

Just moved in and the house has alarm panels, but they're both off. The box in the closet says it's a Safewatch Pro 3000EN. Also looks like the transformer that's plugged in doesn't have the ground wired to the board. The wire isn't even stripped, so I doubt this thing was ever even powered on. Also I can't see any door or window sensors, but I know the smoke alarms are all connected to each other.

I thought when alarm systems were installed into new houses all windows/doors were also wired with sensors. The house is only a few years old. Maybe that's not the case?

Old 07-31-17, 12:00 PM
W
Transformers are AC, ground terminal not needed to supply power. Look carefully in the door jambs and on the door edges for small (dime-sized) circular patches. Those'll be your proximity detectors that sense when the door is open or ajar. Windows are often handled with a combination of proximity detectors (like the doors) that detect when they're open and glass break sonic detectors that sense when a window has been broken to gain entry. Your selling agent should have all the information you need to contact your security system installation company to familiarize yourself with the system's operation, monitoring, and maintenance requirements.

Old 07-31-17, 12:18 PM
S
Thanks. We're renting and the management company is of no help.

We'll I'll be... Every exterior door has these tiny plastic round things that look like they have the GE logo on them in the door frame itself and the side of the doors. I'm used to the huge 2 piece magnetic sensors from way back when, so I didn't even notice these.

We just want the system to alert us to open doors/windows and don't need monitoring. How do we go about turning the system on to do this? I figure it's fairly complicated, but I don't mind learning.

Old 07-31-17, 12:57 PM
W
At the risk of repeating myself, you call up the management company and try sweet-talking the nice lady there. I'd mention how anxious my wife is in a totally new environment and how much the security system would put her at ease during a very stressful period.

You want the name and number of the security system installation company who will have the ability to create a code for you to arm/disarm/monitor the system. Don't accept a generic code "from the rental agent" as you don't know who has access to it, and it could be used to disarm your system after a break-in but before the alarm goes off.

Good luck, and remember to play that empathy card for all it's worth!

P.S. For the homeowner/(renter), the keypad IS the system. Identify the keypad model you have, then find the User's Manual for it on the internet (you can usually pick them out using online photos). It should have everything you need to know. Don't bother with technical specifications or installation manuals; you won't be accessing the system at that level.

Old 07-31-17, 01:15 PM
S
The keypads are all off, so I doubt the management company has a code at all since it's off. The previous tenants were crazy, so once I get things working I'd like to delete existing codes and assign a code for us only in case someone else has codes to disarm the system. Should the keypads be on at all? I've never seen alarm keypads off before.

Old 07-31-17, 01:37 PM
W
If you're leery of a long-term contract with the monitoring company, you can always explain to them that you're a renter and subject to, say, job relocation at any time. See if they'll give you a month-to-month contract or one for a limited time period (90 days, for example). If so, you're all set and they'll drop by, fire up the system, flush out the crazies' codes, and put in new ones for you and yours to use. If you don't already have the name of the alarm installation company, the management company should be able to give it to you.

If, on the other hand, you wish to operate the system without monitoring (or paying for it), you've got a steep learning curve ahead of you that will end up with a result worth exactly what you paid for it. I suggest you pay the piper for setup, monitoring, and support. To save a few bucks you could try explaining to the company that you only wish to use the system to check for open doors/windows. They can most likely set things up such that your code(s) cannot arm or disarm the system, but can be used to monitor your home's openings. Good luck.

Old 07-31-17, 01:55 PM
S
Ok, so it's not something as easy as flipping a switch. How much would it cost to get the thing up and running without monitoring?

I found some discount monitoring companies, would that work to get the system turned on for a month or so of paid monitoring or do I need a local technician to come out to flip the switch?

Old 07-31-17, 02:13 PM
W
For reasons that should be obvious to you, the companies installing such systems tend to "lock" them down with special settings and codes only they know to prevent people doing precisely what you're proposing to do.

You are in an even dicier situation than most since, as a renter, you don't own the security system and therefore have limited rights to tamper with it for any reason. Instead of playing cat and mouse, I suggest AGAIN that you contact the alarm company, see if you can work something out to your mutual satisfaction (half a loaf is better than none for them as well), and take things from there.

In the event you already know the payment amounts and contract conditions demanded by the alarm company to operate and support their system in the house you're renting, you have a simple choice. Pay them and use the system as designed to enhance your family's security or don't and get a little mad every time you see those dark keypads as you go in or out of your unsecured house. I know which I'd choose.

Old 07-31-17, 02:23 PM
S
Will do, thanks. 25chars

Old 07-31-17, 05:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
A "Safewatch Pro 3000" is the ADT branded version of a Vista 20p, both of which are pretty easy to configure for local use; and are a frequent topic of conversation on this forum.

It sounds like the system is powered down and/or the wires on the backs of the keypads have been disconnected.

Installer Manual: http://www.nationwidesecuritycorp.co...all-Manual.pdf

Take a look through the manual, compare it to your system, and let us know what parts you need help with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: