Wireless sensor alert when fence gate is opened?

Old 08-31-17, 08:58 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless sensor alert when fence gate is opened?

[New member here. My apologies if this question should be posted on a different forum.]

I have a vinyl picket fence around my front yard. The fence has a four foot wide, spring-loaded gate that opens into the yard. I installed a plastic/metal kit composed of a latch on the fence post and a rod on the gate; the gate is securely closed when the latch closes over the rod.

Due to numerous reasons, the gate occasionally doesn't properly secure:

1. Visitors inadvertently don't permit the latch to close over the rod
2. Because of vibration and usage, the rod and latch become misaligned just enough so as to prevent the latch from securing the rod; when this happens, I adjust the hinges on the gate so as to realign the parts
3. Ice and/or snow prevents the latch from closing over the rod

I'm concerned that when I let my dog out, he will escape through the open gate. I already have many smarthome-related products. I'd like to install a wireless sensor on the fence/gate that would alert me when the gate is opened; better yet, if the gate *remains* open for more than a few seconds. I would also need to have a receiver device on my wireless network to detect the alert and then alert me on my smartphone.

I can't believe I'm the first person to be interested in such a device; yet I've not found anything on Google nor Amazon. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-17, 10:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
Take a look at Dakota Alert. They have a generic wireless transmitter that can accept an input from a switch. You could put a microswitch on your gate latch or on the gate itself to send the signal to the wireless transmitter.

Old 08-31-17, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Thread moved to security forums.

First to add to Dane's post. That piece would only be one half of the system. You would need a matching receiver for it. dakota alert-products/dcr-2500-receiver/

That would be an inexpensive system. The one I've used is around $200 complete. You would be better off using a wired switch to an indoor annunciatior.

I'm not aware of a standalone sensor that will connect directly thru your network to call you.