Suggestions for monitoring companies (or just drop them completely?)

Old 09-02-17, 04:45 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Suggestions for monitoring companies (or just drop them completely?)

Currently using AlarmRelay with their CBAT module over cellular. About $19/mo. I see others offer IP/Ethernet based monitoring for about $9/mo. The CBAT module has an Ethernet port.

(1) Good idea to switch from cellular? I understand that Internet can be down, etc.

(2) Recommendations for other companies that can do monitoring over broadband with this CBAT module? Or see if AlarmRelay is willing to match prices?

(3) The most cost effective solution: drop a monitoring service completely and do it myself over broadband, phone app, etc. Suggested reading how I can do that with the CBAT module? I guess I need some sort of app and configure CBAT to send messages? Not sure whether a 3rd party server would be required for this.

Thanks!

Old 09-05-17, 07:53 AM
C
$19 a month for cellular monitoring seems like a good deal to me. I have used Alarm Relay for many years. Currently maintain two systems that subscribe to their service, which I have never found fault with.

Out of curiosity, are you mainly trying to save a buck, or is your current service lacking in some way?

Old 09-05-17, 10:29 AM
S
I haven't needed to use them for actual security events so far, knock on wood. But their (or ipdata's) phone app is atrocious! More often than not it doesn't work, never gets any updates, etc. I called and complained about it and they offered to not have that feature and refund $1/mo. or whatever the cost is instead of offering a solution to make it work more reliably.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: