Should I remove my old alarm system

Old 11-16-17, 07:59 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I remove my old alarm system

We recently moved into a house that had an old alarm system. I don't know how old it is but I would guess 10-20 years old. It is not active, and we have no plans to activate it. We also have no plans to move in the next 10 years.

There is a whole nest of wires running through my basement to the main control center, and we are trying to fix up our basement a little bit. I would kind of like to be done with all of those wires. I also wouldn't mind getting rid of the keyboard pads upstairs. Should I tear the whole thing out, or should i leave the guts in place just in case I decide to hook it up again in the future?

The reason I ask is it seems like these systems are moving more towards wireless systems. I don't even know if they would want to reuse anything in this system or if they would install new everything.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-17, 08:51 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leave the wiring in place while pulling the control panel, keypads, and/or sensors. Number, label, and document the wire runs (from and to locations, routing, cable type, comments). Print out the spreadsheet and put a copy in your paper "House" file. Make sure the station end of all cables (to keypads, sensors, etc.) is not shorted (all individual wires should unconnected to each other) so their exact location/routing/termination can be tone traced if needed in the future. Then patch the holes in the walls, paint over them, and forget about it. Not your problem anymore.

Old 11-16-17, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Systems are moving towards wireless due to the high labor costs in running wires thru a house. Even if you convert to wireless..... the keypads are still wired.