which is a reliable, low cost, door alarm ?

Old 12-11-17, 02:26 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
which is a reliable, low cost, door alarm ?

Hello everyone - this is my first post here. I came to this forum because I am looking for a reliable, but low cost door alarm. Here are the details -

I live in an apartment. Someone has been entering when we're not home. I believe its the caretaker, but it is possible that it could be another tenant, using something like a pick gun, or maybe a set of keys that fit an ordinary weiser lock set. We've rekeyed the locks several times, to no avail. I tried installing a door alarm that worked for a while, but quit after a few weeks. I've also installed a locking door chain that works well, but today when I got home it looked like someone had tampered with it, because the part that takes the key needed to be tightened up - now one of the mounting screws is stripped, so it won't last long.

So my question is: Does anyone here know of a good, low cost, reliable unit that I can mount on my door frame to stop this ? There are several features that I would like in this door alarm - I would like a unit that has a delay, so that it doesn't go off every time we open the door to leave. It also shouldn't go off when opening the door each time we come home and open the door to go inside. You wouldn't believe how many alarms don't have this feature, but still call their product a door alarm.

An alarm activated by a remote (would need two remotes - one for each of us) would be ok. It could be activated from the outside hallway when we're leaving, or deactivated from the outside hallway whenever we come home. The noise level of the alarm is also not very important, since we live in an apartment. I only need to discourage anyone from coming in. We are on the 3rd floor, so all we need is one simple door alarm - window sensors are not necessary. As soon as word were to get around that we had an alarm installed, I believe these people would leave us alone.

So, does anyone know of a low cost but reliable unit that would do the job ? thanks in advance - T

Old 12-11-17, 03:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Upvotes on 290 Posts
For what you are wanting, any of the simple basic All in one panels would do the job, just fine. Ones like the Honeywell Lynx come in kits with a couple of transmitters, and aren't hard to setup and configure as even a local only system. Since it's wireless, you can take all the hardware with you to your next apartment.

Old 12-12-17, 02:30 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, Mr Ron. Although the unit you're talking about would work perfectly, it is about $550 US, which is about 10x more than I have to spend. I don't need a panel, only the simple sensor/alarm itself. One of the reasons I posted here is that almost all of the units I've looked at seem to have no reviews (or very few). Even though I'm only spending a small amount, I would like to find something that will do what I need. So, I'm still looking.

Old 12-12-17, 03:34 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Take a look at SimpliSafe!

Old 12-12-17, 05:52 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
For what you want, just something to dissuade an uninvited visitor, you might take a look at some of the travel units designed for use in motel rooms. I think that most of them are made to be set with you inside, not outside, but seems like there may be at least some that could be set for when you leave. May be a bit of a pain keeping batteries in them since you would be using it more often than intended, but definitely on the lower end of options, pricewise.

Old 12-12-17, 02:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Upvotes on 290 Posts
A basic Lynx plus kit is more in the $250.00 range.

That said: You probably won't find much by way of reviews with most of those pseudo security devices that are for a single opening. They are generally barely functional junk that only provides an illusion of security. That is, of course, my opinion...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: