Help Me Resolve this Problem with choosing a gate lock

Old 12-23-17, 03:13 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Me Resolve this Problem with choosing a gate lock

Newbie here - Recently moved to a new home in a higher crime area. The property is completely fenced in. Vehicle gates are locked with chains and combination padlocks but anyone could climb over them. We have a solid, homemade 2x4 pedestrian gate that currently does not lock. It swings out toward the street.<br />

We would like to install a lock on the pedestrian gate that has both a keypad and remotes to make it more difficult for thieves to walk off with our stuff (notice I did not say, impossible). The keypad would be for those times when we are out in the yard and want to exit the gate (getting mail for example) and the remote for when we are in the house and a visitor rings the doorbell at the gate. Since the door opens out, all we need on the street side is a simple pull handle. There is no electricity at the gate. .<br />

So far, everything I have found that has both of these features (remote and keypad) also has a simple turn knob on the opposite side of the keypad. (Attaching photo of what would work if it didn't have a knob on the opposite side.)<br />

To summarize, I need a lock that does not show on the street side at all, but that has both a remote and keypad to unlock the door on the inside AND that does not unlock on the inside without the code/remote. Since I will need to make adjustments to the inside to attach the lock anyway the only thing I can think of is to build a small box to accommodate the knob, attach the body of the lock to the box, and then attach all of that to the existing door. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm wondering if there is something simpler. My husband is a technology neanderthal so no smart phone gadget suggestions - he isn't going there. No way, now how.

Attached Images  
Old 12-23-17, 09:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
This model does _close_ to what you want:

https://www.mightymule.com/wp-conten...-gate-lock.pdf

Old 12-24-17, 04:55 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wow! A little more money than I'd like to spend, but this does seem like it will work and the installation looks manageable. Thanks.

Old 12-24-17, 05:45 AM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
Installation suggestion: No wiring should be accessibile from the unsecure side of the gate. In my experience, vandalism goes hand-in-hand with higher crime; eliminate attack points.

Page 7 of the above PDF shows wire routed down. I would recommend locating where you want the keypad and then drilling through the mounting surface to the secure side. Use electrician's duct seal (available at big box stores) to seal the hole; bugs love a hole and some can be harmful to electronics.

As to price, I will grant that sometimes we pay for a gold mine, but all we get is the shaft. But we usually get what we pay for.

Old 12-24-17, 10:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
With security hardware, generally, cheap stuff doesn't work all that well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: