PoolGuard Door Alarms - pass through does not work

Old 01-27-18, 03:16 PM
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
PoolGuard Door Alarms - pass through does not work

Has anyone had success installing PoolGuard model DAPT-2 door alarms?

My county (Contra Costa, CA) requires these on all back doors to the swimming pool area. My sprawling ranch house has 7 such doors, so I bought 7 of these alarms. This is the model alarm recommended by my pool remodeler.

So far, these alarms appear to be 100% defective. They sound when they should, but they also sound when they shouldn't. There is a "pass through" button which is supposed to give you 7 seconds to get through the door without alarming. But it doesn't work; the alarm sounds anyway.

I followed the printed instructions to the letter. Is there a trick to these that I'm missing?

Amazon's page showing this item is here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JFKER4/

Last edited by RocketJSquirrel; 01-27-18 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-18, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
I have my own pool alarms. I have seen that one before but have never gotten to play with it. I can see your consternation as the owners manual is in-correctly written. Both delay modes are identical.

The POOLGUARD DOOR ALARM uses two delay modes which allow the user to exit and enter the door without the alarm sounding. These two modes are explained below.

A. FIRST DELAY MODE: When the door is opened the alarm automatically goes into the first delay mode which gives you 7 seconds after the door is opened to push the pass thru switch. If the pass thru switch is not pushed within 7 seconds the alarm will sound with the door open or closed. To silence the alarm close the door then push the pass thru switch.

B. SECOND DELAY MODE: When the door is opened and the pass thru switch is pushed within 7 seconds, this puts the door alarm in the second delay mode which allows you 14 seconds to go through the door and close it. When the door is closed within 14 seconds, the alarm will automatically reset. If the door is not closed within 14 seconds, the alarm will sound.

Poolguard//DAPT-2_rev070808.pdf

Old 01-28-18, 03:06 PM
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
Thanks for prompting me to re-read the instructions. They're badly written, but part of my problem was user error. You have to disable the alarm after opening the door, not before. So it turns out only 2 of my 7 alarms are truly defective; their failure modes were confusing me.

Old 01-28-18, 05:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 86 Posts
I often joke that the instructions on a lot of these inexpensive electronic items read like the were translated from Chinese into English by Danes from Mars...