NVR Networking

Old 02-01-18, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Talking NVR Networking

I am replacing my old security DVR system with a new NVR system. Converting over from BNC type connections to POE. I want to have both systems up while the conversion takes place, the new cameras/wiring replacing the old cameras. In addition I am changing from 8 cameras to 16 camera system and so will be adding new locations.

As far as networking, the present DVR is using the last port on my router so to be able to network both systems at the same time, is it possible to do this temporally with an older 4 port either net switch until all the new ones are up and running? Then I would connect the NVR back to the router port by itself.

I am no spry chicken, so I will probably be able to do one per day with running the wires in the attic, drilling new holes on a 20' ladder etc. Thats why I want the overlap. Tx

Old 02-01-18, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,980 Upvotes on 3,572 Posts
I don't see any problem using a switch.

I was installing cameras today on the sides of a building pretty close to the top of a 24' ext ladder. I'm no spry chicken either anymore.

Old 02-02-18, 06:53 PM
Finished my 2nd one today, much easier than the first. I got to get this done while the weather (attic) is still cool.

Another question, my system came with a corded mouse, have you ever been able to use a wireless mouse instead?

Tx

Old 02-03-18, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,980 Upvotes on 3,572 Posts
Good question. I've never tried a wireless mouse. I'd imagine it will work with most units. Certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try it.

I usually only use a mouse for the original setup and then I access everything thru the network via my laptop.

Old 02-03-18, 05:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 305 Upvotes on 280 Posts
Some DVR/NVR units have the driver for the wireless mice, some don't. Remember, these things are basically Linux boxes.

Old 02-04-18, 10:55 AM
I have an inexpensive? ($3) wireless mouse from those "flee" people that I tried. My NVR has 2 USB ports, so used the one on the front panel and it works without issue. ) Now I can sit on my couch and adjust things!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: