Suggestions for setting up surveillance system?

Old 02-07-18, 02:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Suggestions for setting up surveillance system?

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of building my house ( only concrete works are finished so far, so I can wire the entire house easily ).

The house has 2 stories(ground floor with kitchen and living room and 1st floor where the bedrooms are) and an outside perimeter concrete wall that has one pedestrian gate and one vehicle gate.

What I intend to do is the following (correct me if you're wrong, please): I want a video intercom at the pedestrian gate linked to two "tablets" mounted on the wall, one on the ground floor near the entrance or in the living room (not decided yet on the best position for it) and one on the hallway of the upper floor. Also I want 3 ipcameras mounted on the exterior house walls overseeing 3 sides of my garden, connected to a NVR for recording. So I want those 2 tablets to be connected to the 4 cameras (the 3 ipcams and the front entrace video intercom) and to show them each in 1/4 of the screen. When somebody calls the front door intercom, I want to be able to speak to them and be able to open the door.

I know that most ipcams now are easily connected to the mobile phone or a tablet, but I want to have them permanently on and not on demand when opening an app or going to the computer, and since I'm already putting the video intercom, I thought I might as well use the same system. When I hear something, I can just get up from the couch and look at the screen, not go to the computer or find the phone to open the app, etc.

Any thoughts or/and solutions? I'm a big fan of Samsung, Google Home, or IFTTT. Oh and since I can put wires everywhere, I would be more comfortably avoiding batteries in everything (wifi or radio).

Thank you!

Old 02-07-18, 04:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I agree 100% with running wires and not going wireless. One bit of advice I can offer is to run conduit to your camera locations to either the attic or crawl space. Make it so you can pull new cables in the future.

I did something similar to what you want when I built my house 15 years ago. It was great... until technology changed and now all those wires I installed in the walls are obsolete and mostly useless. Don't count on Cat 5 or any wire used now to be what you'll want or need 5 or 10 years in the future.

Old 02-07-18, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
One other suggestion, Look all around house and think of any place you might want a camera. Much easier to run some conduit now than after house built. Even if never used a little time and expense now other than a big job latter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: