Security System for Trailer...

Old 06-24-18, 12:36 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Security System for Trailer...

I'm looking for advice on what to throw into an enclosed trailer. I need to accomplish a couple things:

1. I have a single door that I want to have a sensor on when opened while armed, the alarm goes off.

​​​​​​2. The same door I'd like an impact alarm in case someone tries to crowbar it open.

Sounds easy enough right? What's the best out there? Anything on the market that adds a proximity to the alarm... where if the trailer is moved the alarm goes off?

Keeping in mind that the trailer is disconnected from a vehicle. There are batteries in the trailer for the generator but I'd like something that won't kill those batteries.

Old 06-24-18, 01:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You might be able to use solar cells to power a standard car alarm (with it's own battery pack). In standby mode, they are fairly low current systems, and most of the type of sensors you are describing are standard options for vehicular systems.

Old 06-24-18, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have to be realistic. An alarm systems needs power. That will require a battery.
Who is going to hear this alarm ?
Is it parked in a home or at a job site ?
Basically.... is there someone that can hear the alarm or is at an isolated location.

Old 06-24-18, 05:01 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I do realize the alarm needs power. I just can't have the current battery set up be drained because it's necessary for the generator.

The trailer will be in a neighborhood. So it would need to be heard by the surrounding homes.

Old 06-25-18, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
You could use a simple home wired alarm system and power it with it's own deep cycle battery........a 31 series deep cycle battery would power it for a long time.
You can get all kinds of accessories like an outdoor keypad, outdoor key switch and various types of sensors.

I used this type of set up on a remotely parked construction trailer and it worked quite well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: