Honeywell Tuxedo and SUNSET setting

Old 07-08-18, 04:40 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Honeywell Tuxedo and SUNSET setting

Okay, I'm completely baffled by this one and need some help.

We have a Vista 21ip control panel and one of the keypads is a Honeywell Tuxedo (TUXWIFIW). I decided to make use of the z-wave capacity of the Tuxedo keypad and connected several Aeotec switches to various lights around the house.

I also have our outside lights setup to be controlled by the Tuxedo keypad. Until some time ago (I'm not sure how long.) the outside lights came on at sunset and turned off at sunrise. How the lights are coming on a few hours before sunset.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this is happening? The DST is set correctly. I don't see a time zone setting. The clock is set right. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-18, 08:30 AM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
We're just over a couple of weeks past the summer solstice. In the Northern Hemisphere, we get several hours more sunlight this time of year, depending on your latitude. Setting the lights to come on at a particular time isn't going to have them come on right after sunset, except during a small time window of the year, and DST might help a little, but it's only one hour. If your lights are set to come on near sunset around the shortest day of the year--around Dec 21st in the Northern Hemisphere---then you're going to have several hours of "lighted" evening during the weeks bracketing the longest day (around June 20th in the Northern Hemisphere) and DST will only compensate one one hour of that. Again, how many hours depends on your latitude, how far north of the equator you are.

In other words, if you set your lights to come on at a certain time, you'll either have hours of unlighted darkness or hours of "lighted" daylight in the weeks bracketing the solstices. You might consider having your outside lights governed by a photo sensor instead of a timer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: