Looking for remote temperature sensor for smartphone

Old 09-08-18, 04:30 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Looking for remote temperature sensor for smartphone

I have a small rental cabin and I am wanting to put a remote temperature sensor in the crawlspace under it where the water heater and piping is located. I would like something that I can monitor on my cell phone or computer at home. I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but if not maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Any suggestions without breaking the bank would be great. Thanks

Old 09-08-18, 05:25 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
There are lots of wifi thermostats around, there are also multi-zone ones, I'd consider putting in a wifi/remote control thermostat, set the cabin living space as zone 1 and the crawlspace as zone 2. You'll be able to check both temperatures.

Old 09-08-18, 12:31 PM
K
Thanks but that's way more than I'm looking for. Just need remote temp monitoring with no control of temp.

Old 09-08-18, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Yes..... this is the correct forum.

There are units that contain multiple sensors for humidity and temperature but they only notify if a preset value is reached or crossed. You want something that reads and forwards the current temperature ?

A wifi thermostat may be the least costly way to go.

Old 09-08-18, 08:33 PM
H
Just need remote temp monitoring with no control of temp.
Well, I initially thought - just put a 1 zone wifi thermostat in the crawl space, don't need to connect it to anything, but then I realized the cost of a 2 zone is low enough that it seems to make sense.

The main problem I foresee is that most wireless thermometers are meant to rely to your house, but not necessarily be available from far away. In contrast, most wifi thermostats DO have some app for remote sensing.

How is the sensorr supposed to relay the information? Does the cabin have internet service?

Old 09-08-18, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Definitely needs to have internet services. There are cellular type devices used for remote signalling but they will be very expensive and you'd now have an additional monthly fee for cell service.

Old 09-09-18, 07:14 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
And the internet service has to remain ACTIVE!

My neighbor went out of the country for 3 months last winter and put his Verizon Fios (phone, TV, internet) on vacation status to reduce the fees. When he called me to say that he could not "see" his Nest thermostats on his cell phone I went inside to investigate/reboot, etc. We discovered that his internet service was not active because it was on vacation status.

Old 09-10-18, 07:03 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The only remote monitor device I know of that doesn't require a fulltime phone or internet connection is a product called House Setter. It's a plastic dog statue that you place wherever you wish and internal temperature & humidity sensors "watch" the conditions. It has a built-in cellular transceiver that you can access for readings, and you can set limits that will result in a text being sent to your phone if they are exceeded. It also has a camera that you can view the area by command, or often--depending on the level of service you subscribe to.

The service atarts at $30/mo, I believe.

Whether this works for you or not will depend on whether you get a decent Verizon signal at your cabin. I don't, so this device didn't work for me & I had to return it for refund.

Apparently it works on an old low-band of cell service that is reason for the cheap subscription. It's also the reason why it can't connect to any other services in the absence of a Verizon tower.

Old 09-11-18, 06:45 PM
K
In response to PJmax

Yes..... this is the correct forum.

There are units that contain multiple sensors for humidity and temperature but they only notify if a preset value is reached or crossed. You want something that reads and forwards the current temperature ?

A wifi thermostat may be the least costly way to go.

yes that is what I am looking for.

Last edited by kmeyer301; 09-11-18 at 06:47 PM. Reason: need to clarify
Old 09-11-18, 06:48 PM
K
response to Hal_S

the cabin does have internet service

Old 09-12-18, 06:21 AM
H
the cabin does have internet service
Then you just need something with wifi and a temperature sensor- theres wifi thermostats, weather stations, and one of the cell phones with a tempeature sensor - older Samsun Galaxy S34 , Note 3, Motoroloa Moto X or Moto X 2nd gen.

Old 09-15-18, 07:04 AM
K
Ok all, thanks for the responses. I wound up going with a temp monitoring sensor by La Crosse. It is simple and seems to be doing the trick just fine. It does use the wifi but since it is a rental and wifi is on all the time I think I will be fine. At least going to give it a try. It was inexpensive and if it does the trick, great. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: