Telephone not working

Old 09-15-18, 10:13 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Telephone not working

I have an old Ademco Alarm connected to a Central Station that has worked for years. The Central Station tells me that they cannot connect to my alarm. The alarm display shows FC (Communication Failure).
I found the green/red wires from my incoming was dead so I pulled a New telephone line to the alarm. When I connect the red/green phone lines to Terminals 23,24 All house phones go dead. (Wiring diagram shows Terminal 21, 22 should be connected to handset. It is not now, but never was.) Must I connect a handset?
David

Old 09-15-18, 11:00 AM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
There should be a RJ31X Jack installed next to or maybe even inside your alarm panel (only legal way to connect to the Public Switched Telephone Network). Unplug the the cord from the RJ31X, wait a couple of minutes anc check your telephones. If the phones still don't work, the problem is most likely not in the alarm.

If you have a volt meter, set it for greater than 50 Volts DC. With the phones on hook you should see around 48 Volts DC. Go to the DEMARC (where the phone lines enter the premise), unplug the premise phones and check the telco side for voltage. For a double check, take a telephone and plug it into the DEMARC to see if you can draw and break dialtone.

A typical DEMARC is shown below; telco side is the left and premise side is the right.
Name:  telco demarc.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  10.3 KB

Old 09-15-18, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,315 Votes on 1,215 Posts
There is supposed to be an RJ31x at the alarm panel but many installers skipped that part.
An alarm is designed to be connected with four wires for a very specific reason..... line seizure.

The phone line comes in from the phone company and goes directly to terminals 23 and 24. Everything else in the house is connected to terminals 21 and 22. When the alarm needs to communicate to the central station..... it seizes the line and disconnects all house phones. The way yours is wired now.... if a phone is left off the hook... your panel can't communicate. The alarm needs to have full control of the phone line.

Old 09-16-18, 04:34 AM
D
Pete
My systems does have an RJ31x, but the only telephone lines going to the jack is the two wires going to terminals 23 and 24. When I connect the tel wires to those two terminals, all phones go dead.
I have three phone lines in the house. Would I correct the problem if I connect a second telephone line to terminals 21 and 22 or does the dead phones mean that there is a circuit in the Ademco Panel that is bad?
Thank you for your help.

Old 09-16-18, 10:05 AM
T
Were any changes made to your phones or lines recently? You say you have 3 phone lines; 3 different phone numbers? Are any or all of the numbers IP (Internet Protocol) lines? Don't connect a different phone line, to the other terminals.

If the phones work with the line disconnected from the alarm panel, and work with the line connected, its the alarm panel. Try removing power from the panel (AC and DC) for a minute and then reapply power (anything with a microprocessor needs the occasional reset). See if anything changed.

A jack specifically for the alarm panel was to allow both subscriber and telco tech to easily disconnect the alarm from the phone lines without "touching" alarm wiring. Proper wiring of the jack and alarm panel allowed line siezure as PJmax said.

The diagrams below were intentionally drawn to be generic. Wire colors may differ and alarm panel wiring is not shown because it varies; see the wiring diagram for your specific panel. On the Line Seizure Relay drawing, the colors are from an 8-conductor phone cord.

Name:  RJ31X Wiring.jpg
Views: 3816
Size:  17.2 KB
Name:  Line Seizure Relay.png
Views: 461
Size:  7.5 KB

Old 09-16-18, 11:54 AM
D
Yes. I have 3 separate phone numbers. The phone line (green/red) works when not connected to the alarm but disconnects that number when connected to the alarm.
So the red/green comes from the telephone company, and the black/yellow lines return to the red/green which feed the house phones?
ThisOldMan - thank you.

Old 09-16-18, 01:29 PM
T
That's correct. In from the telco protector on Red and Green (4 & 5), through the alarm panel, back to the demarc on Yellow and Black (1 & 8) and out to the premise phones.

On the demarc shown, the left side is where you will make your connections. Remove the Red and Green wires from one protector, cut the terminals off and strip the wires. Splice Yellow to the Red you just stripped and Black to the Green. Connect the Green from the cable to the left terminal of the protector and the Red to the right.
Name:  Demarc close=up.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  20.3 KB

With the plug removed from the RJ31X you should have dialtone at the sets connected to that line.

If restarting your panel didn't correct the original problem, it sounds like it's time for a new panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: