Removing a Cellular Module From an Active Vivint Unit

Old 09-27-18, 11:56 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Removing a Cellular Module From an Active Vivint Unit

I bought this house in July (2018). It has a Vivint system. I don't want it. The previous owners of the house are getting billed each month (three times so far). They say they are getting the charges reversed.

Yesterday I was working with the panel and somehow triggered an alarm. I got a visit from the local police.

I want to bring this mess to an end. Can I just remove the cellular module?
Will that trigger an alarm?
Will the alarms trigger periodically because Vivint can't "reach" the unit?

Thanks,
Pete

Old 09-27-18, 03:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Vivint is reseller, they don't make the hardware. Based on looking their website, is this the system you have?
DSC Touch - 7 inch ?All-in-One? TouchScreen Security Products | DSC

If so, I think that all of the communication functions are built into the unit. If you have the installer code, you can turn off the communications in the programming, Otherwise, your only other option is to find the wall plug it's plugged into, and disconnect the backup battery inside the keypad unit.

Old 09-27-18, 05:21 PM
P
I have the other unit. 2GiG I think they call it.
But if I did something like disconnect, I am concerned that Vivint headquarters (or what ever we call it) will alarm the local police as if there was a break in. That is how I would design a secure system.

Old 09-27-18, 07:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Nah, that's not how they work. You probably triggered a panic alarm, which are often silent. The most it's going to send if you power it down is a brief low battery.

You can always call your local dispatch and tell them your address and that you are going to be disconnecting a security system monitored by a company that you don't have a contract with, so disregard any dispatch requests.

Old 09-28-18, 09:08 AM
P
I did call the local 911 on a non-emergency line and they said that if they get an alarm they have to check it out. I tried to get them to accept my phone number to call and verify if they get an alarm but they refused. It could be someone trying to set up a break in they said.

Old 09-28-18, 01:04 PM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
I did call the local 911 on a non-emergency line and they said that if they get an alarm they have to check it out.
That is boilerplate in all dispatch centers; liability! About the best you can hope for is that responding personnel will be told the call is downgraded.

Old 09-28-18, 03:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Then I would just disconnect the thing. The odds are that they didn't put a silent alarm tamper on the battery compartment. The worst that will happen is that you will spend 5 minutes explaining to a cop that you are working on your own property.

(I've spent long enough working in the industry, that I forget that normal people don't have a check-in code with the dispatch call center...)

Old 09-29-18, 02:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
You could always unplug it and wait for the battery to drain and then remove it. The people at vivnt would just think a long power outage happened and won't trigger a alarm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: