How do I use wired recessed mag contact with french doors?

Old 10-27-18, 10:54 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I use wired recessed mag contact with french doors?

I've tried to research this but either I'm using the wrong terminology or doing something else wrong, because I can't find this answer anywhere...

I'm replacing a door with french doors and want to know how to do I wire the magnetic recessed switch? My previous contact was on the outer hinged side, but my new doors are french doors and open in the middle. So how do I install a recessed mag contact? I assume it goes on the top, but if so do I have to drill through the header or is there another way to run the wire?

Thank you!

Old 10-27-18, 11:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes..... you drill up thru the header and across the framing.

If the wire is currently coming out of the framing in the wrong place...... wait until the new casing is installed and run the wire between the door casing and the framing. There will be shims that you need to carefully work around. Keep the wire away from where the molding will be nailed on.

Old 10-28-18, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
There is usually plenty of room to run the wire in the rough opening around to the top of the door. And there are stubby contacts that are short enough that it doesn't require any drilling into the header.

Old 10-28-18, 08:14 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys!

PJmax, the shims were my concern when I thought about running the wires at the top of the jamb. Can you explain how I do that? Do I just run the wire around the shim? And will this give me a problem installing the trim?

Thanks again!

Old 10-28-18, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Take a skilsaw and notch the shim about 1" deep. Run the wire through the notch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: