Surveillance Hard Disk Drives in NVR

Old 12-23-18, 01:42 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Surveillance Hard Disk Drives in NVR

Hello.

I recently purchased a Lorex 8 channel NVR (model NR8182W) which comes with a 2TB SATA hard drive. I would like to replace the 2TB hard drive with an 8TB SATA hard drive (maximum is 8TB). I currently have four cameras on continuous 24/7 recording and the 2TB drive holds about 10-12 days of video which I would like to increase. I plan to install up to four additional cameras totaling eight.

During this chat with Lorex, an agent stated I only need to purchase a 6TB drive to install as a second drive to the 2TB drive. "OPTION A" (if it works) would be less expensive and not waste the 2TB drive already purchased with the NVR.

However, the NR8182W NVR User Guide states “The system comes with a pre-installed SATA hard drive. You can replace the hard drive with one up to a maximum size of 8TB.”

This does not say anything about combining two drives. I haven’t opened the NVR to see if multiple drives are supported. From what Lorex stated, the NVR can hold two separate drives.

OPTION A:
- keep and reformat existing WD Purple 2TB Surveillance Hard Drive installed.
- install and format new WD Purple 6TB Surveillance Hard Drive.
- Combined, this will provide 8TB storage (maximum).

OPTION B:
- remove existing WD Purple 2TB Surveillance Hard Drive.
- install and format new WD Purple 8TB Surveillance Hard Drive
- This will provide 8TB storage (maximum).

QUESTIONS:
1. Is it possible to have two separate drives so that when recording fills one drive, it will begin recording on the second drive?
2. Then when the second drive is filled, does it wrap around and begin recording over the first drive?
-or -
3. does it wrap around on the second drive replacing previous recorded video, and ignore the first drive?

Many thanks for any insight. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-23-18, 05:42 PM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Looking at the Lorex page, it says: If desired, this hard drive can be replaced with another SATA hard drive up to a maximum of 8TB in size. This would seem to me it has room for only 1 drive, also the manual for the 810 series has images which show only 1 drive.
https://www.lorextechnology.com/down...NUAL_EN_R1.pdf

Old 12-23-18, 05:59 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Only takes one drive.

The NVR is derived from older DVR (update to VRC which uses hard drive for SD video storage), they will generally have separate read / write heads so you can do chase-place (playback video using read head, while write head continues to record).
They also have automatic write to the end of the drive, then start at the beginning..

Old 12-23-18, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
On a totally different note...... you may want to consider motion activated recording instead of continuous recording. Two pluses..... reduces storage space needed and wear on the drive and it also makes searching for events much easier as you don't have to sift thru hours of nothing to find an event.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: