Upgrading an 1980 wired alarm system

Old 02-04-19, 05:49 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrading an 1980 wired alarm system

This community looks really awesome to help me out. I searched some posts but still super confused, so hope to get a recommendation of what to research next. I'm a software developer and DIYer so feel confident and tinkering.

My current set-up: I have a really old Moose MPI-775 connected to 3 wired door sensors (magnets in door and jamb) and 1 wired motion detector and very loud siren in the roof

My desired set-up:
1) Modern keypad. Touch preferred ("modern preferable)
2) Ability to have phone app for remote connectivity and monitoring. If the key pad is simple, the app has to be more powerful. Internet connectivity has to be wifi as I dont want to run CAT5 cables or anything
3) Ability to connect to existing wired sensors plus install new wireless ones
4) Option to add monitoring system if needed (I really dont want to pay the montly fees but may change my mind later)
5) Option to connect it to my Alexa device

My understanding is I need to change the board and keypad, but not sure what I need to buy.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-19, 07:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 86 Posts
Items 1, 3, & 4 are things that nearly all of the standard brands like DSC, Honeywell, Networx, Concord, etc. will fulfill. It's a matter of choosing the correct hardware, as these systems are basically modular.

Wifi connections are problematic. There are third party solutions that will get you phone app connection, but they generally rely on a ethernet connection,

I have strong reservations about any connectivity that would tie an intrusion alarm to a smart speaker system. At this point you are essentially playing beta tester...

Old 02-05-19, 12:02 PM
P
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
For #2, you should go with cellular or dual-path. I have dual-path with a Honeywell iGSMV4G, and use Powerline networking to get my communicator connected to the internet. Relying on Internet only isn't something I want to do. If you don't have your system professionally monitored, maybe you don't care as much. But Powerline networking is an easy way to get an Internet communicator connected.

As far as Alexa goes, the only integration my system has is the Alexa Total Connect skill that allows me to check the status and arm the system. Speaking my code out loud to disarm the system isn't something I want to do. Beside, we always use our key fobs to arm and disarm the system when leaving/arriving. We have to disarm the system from our driveway so we can open the garage door to drive the car in when we return home, so we'd rarely use voice disarm even if it was available.

Old 02-05-19, 03:22 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It sounds like the vista 20p is a perfect match for you. The tuxedo touch has a WiFi version to check weather and news only. If you buy a igsm4g communicator you can hook it up to a Ethernet to WiFi adapter. For Alexa and app support you would subscribe to Honeywell total connect for those abilities. I recommend alarm grid or Geoarm. They offer monitoring or total connect only with no central station for 11 dollars a month.

Old 02-05-19, 10:06 PM
R
Thanks.

I guess I should have specified something: I dont want to pay anyone for any additional capabilities (e.g. Honeywell total connect, etc) unless I want monitoring later on. Also, the Alexa option that appeals a lot to me is arming and disarming from upstairs and checking status remotly (through my phone)

With that in mind, I'm stiff confused of what I can do in order to achieve my goals.

Old 02-05-19, 11:07 PM
Then you would want a EnvisaLink 4 to go with the vista 20p. You can remote arm from your phone or a computer web browser. It acts as a virtual keypad and does not require a monthly fee. It doesn’t have Alexa support but I think someone is coding a skill for it.

Old 02-08-19, 03:24 PM
R
EnvisaLink 4 has no wifi interface...any other one?

Old 02-08-19, 05:46 PM
P
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Use Powerline adapters. That's what I've always used to get a network connection to my alarm communicator.

Old 02-09-19, 04:16 PM
R
what is the difference with the Vista 21P instead of the 20P? Seems to have integrated internet

UPDATE: never mind. I need the Total Connect

Old 02-10-19, 11:10 AM
Yes you can buy a Ethernet to WiFi adapter to attach your ev4 and you should be good to go