Amcrest Outdoor PTZ POE Camera - need audio assistance

Old 04-05-19, 12:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amcrest Outdoor PTZ POE Camera - need audio assistance

Hello,
I recently installed a security system as a favor for a friend. The system itself is up and running just fine. My problem is the primary camera which is an Amcrest Outdoor PTZ POE Camera needs to have a mic and a speaker. This usually isn't a problem for me as I've installed a few home security systems before, but the camera's I've always installed had component or 8mm jack to connect the mic/speaker. The issue with this camera is it just has open leads and the mic that came with it is a mono component connection and 12v dc connection. The camera itself has 3 audio leads (Audio in, out, and ground).

I apologize for the lengthy explanation but what I'm hoping to get is advice on how to proceed in order to get a mic and speaker working properly rather than jury rigging it and hoping for the best. I would also appreciate any recommendations on equipment. Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 04-05-19, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Some cameras have a port for an aux microphone but I have never heard of
plugging in/connecting a speaker into a camera.

It sounds like you want two way audio. I'm not sure any camera can do that directly,

Old 04-05-19, 02:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, i am talking about two way audio and this camera does have an audio in and an audio out, probably since the app for the system has an intercom type function. But my primary concern is getting the microphone to work. As I've stated the camera only has open wires and no extra ports, component or 8mm, for audio. My first thought was to strip the component head off of the microphone that came with it and splice the wires but I'm trying to avoid any jury rig solutions.

Old 04-05-19, 04:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You connect those wires to the appropriate sized jacks to match your audio input and output devices. They do it that way so that the mic and speaker can be located in a different physical location from the camera itself, and maintain the integrity of the camera shell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: