Help Identifying This Device! Work Restroom

Old 07-19-19, 02:49 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Identifying This Device! Work Restroom

This device is located in some sensitive areas around my workplace - mail room, mother's room (for breastfeeding) and all restrooms. But it's not located in other public areas (where there are normal smoke alarms). It's weird that it's only in sensitive areas.

It looks like a hybrid smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, and an infrared sensor.

There are two lights in the small black circles within the smaller circles - one blinks red, the other blinks blue.

The black area looks like an infrared sensor or a camera. Anyone know a model number or manufacturer for this type? It would be newer - this building was renovated within the last 10 years.

I'm looking to identify this device to see if it has a camera in it as well. Because that's not OK if they're monitoring the bathrooms, usually illegal.

Name:  ms.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  39.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-19-19 at 09:57 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 07-19-19, 03:21 PM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
I can't tell much from the picture but I'll hazard a guess or two.
1. An occupancy sensor. A motion detector to automatically turn the lights on when it detects motion in the room, keep them on for a predetermined time (each time motion is detected it restarts) and turn them off. A way to save electricity in rooms that aren't always occupied.
2. A wireless network node. Many cellphones can use the internet to communicate when cell system signal strength is poor.
As I said, just a guess.

Old 07-19-19, 04:29 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So we think it's unlikely a camera? This is a reputable/large company that has won ethical awards. I would have been shocked if it was a camera but you never know.

Old 07-19-19, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Old 07-19-19, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
No company would install cameras in a bathroom or dressing area.

That unit has two detectors.... ultrasonic and infra red. That's the reason for the two LED's.
It needs both to be tripped for the lights to operate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: