Daisy-Chain Electronic Door Chime To Mechanical?

Old 07-19-19, 05:57 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Daisy-Chain Electronic Door Chime To Mechanical?

Hello:

For 11 years I’ve had two mechanical door chimes ringing off of a single doorbell (basement chime daisychained off the main floor chime). I decided I wanted to replace the basement chime to obtain a louder/longer melody plus flashing light (so I’m less likely to miss the door when using my home theatre).

The mechanical chime is NuTone model BK125LWH-1 and the new electronic chime is Honeywell Series 3 model DW313S.

What I’ve found is that, upon swapping out the basement chime, only the main floor chime will ring when pressing the doorbell. If, on the main floor chime, I disconnect the main floor chime wires but leave in place the daisychained wires to the basement chime, now the basement chime (and only the basement chime) will ring. I tried reversing the wires on the new basement chime in case I had connected them wrong. No change. Basement wires are connected to the ‘A1’ and ‘A2’ ports.

In short, when combining the main floor mechanical door chime with the new basement electronic door chime, I can only get one chime to ring at a time. Thoughts? Is there some reason you can’t combine mechanical with electronic? Should one of the basement wires be connected to one of the transformer ports?

Thank you kindly for any suggestions; cheers,
Duncan

p.s. now I can’t seem to figure out how to get the basement chime to ring in response to a doorbell push AT ALL. I swear I got it to do it once, but can’t figure out the combination of wires that made it trigger before. Argh...

Last edited by bdmckinl; 07-19-19 at 06:46 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-19-19, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,332 Votes on 1,231 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Honeywell is none to helpful with meaningful technical information. The "diagrams" they supply aren't terribly helpful.

Do you know where your transformer is ?
That module requires a Common connection to the transformer.

Tell us about your wiring. How many wires at the transformer and at the chime. If all else fails..... you can use a small plug in wall transformer to power the remote chime and then connect the A1-A2 wires.

Name:  db.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  42.2 KB

bdmckinl voted this post useful.
Old 07-20-19, 10:38 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the kind welcome Pete - receiving a response this morning (after a night filled with restless dreams brimming with tangles of confusing wires!) was most heartening .

Perhaps those fevered dreams DID accomplish something, though, because I awoke with fresh (and, it turns out, fruitful) ideas!

First, rather than connecting various combinations of wires to various places on the main-floor mechanical chime, I simply connected the two 'hot' wires directly and the two other wires directly. Now the downstairs chime rang with a push of the doorbell!

Second, I remembered learning online somewhere yesterday that the second chime needed to have the wires connected to the exact same terminals as on the first 'daisy-chained' chime. Given that the 'hot' wire on the main-floor chime (along with one of the daisy-chained wires) was originally connected to the transformer terminal and the other main-floor chime wire (along with the second of the daisy-chained wires) was originally connected to a bell terminal, I decided to completely forego the useless Honeywell diagrams (thank you for that validation ), reconnect all four main-floor chime wires as before, and line up the basement chime wires identically: 'hot' wire to AC1, and other wire to A1.

Bingo! Both bells now ring !!!

So I'm thrilled to report that your generously offered assistance is no longer required sir - again, thank you for your time . I'm about the furthest thing from 'handy', but now that I've joined your forum perhaps I'll be emboldened and will return with the inevitable questions about future tasks...

cheers,
Duncan

p.s. I love that, when searching for emoji, many of the top ones seem to involve rage (flaming faces, head-banging, throwing monitors lol). Tells me that I'm not alone in the state I was in by the time I sought out this forum .

Old 07-20-19, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,332 Votes on 1,231 Posts
Good job.Name:  thumb.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  1.6 KB Stop back if you need further help.

bdmckinl voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: