Wireless contacts too large for window

Old 10-19-19, 02:08 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wireless contacts too large for window

I have some WS4945 wireless contacts for my DSC alarm system. I am having a hard time determining where to place on the double hung windows.
The goal would be to have the transmitter on one sash, and the magnet on the other. However, there is not enough room.
With the transmitter on the bottom sash:
  • If I put the magnet on the top sash, when I open the window, the bottom sash will interfere and break it off.
  • If I put the magnet on the jamb, then only the bottom sash is monitored. This is probably sufficient, but not preferred right?
Is there alternate solutions to make these sensors work or am I missing something?

Old 10-19-19, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
They generally always go on the bottom sash only, even if both open. Burglars aren't going to crawl through the top sash.

Old 10-19-19, 02:30 PM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I don't use DSC products but you might be better off with the DSC EV-DW4975. According to the specs online the width of the EV-DW4975 is 1" vs 1.5" for the WS4945. You'll have to measure your window to verify if it'll fit.

Old 10-19-19, 04:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You do have the option of using a set of external contacts, and putting the transmitter somewhere in the window frame where it's not obtrusive.

Old 10-20-19, 02:56 PM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
I've faced this problem before and have always been able to find a workable replacement for the magnet.

There's no law that says you have to use the magnet that comes with the wireless sensor. The solution might be as simple as finding a strong flat bar magnet that will fit on your window without being knocked off.

Take care that you find a _bar_ magnet about the same length as your existing magnet. Some flat magnets have their North and South poles coming out of the large flat face of the magnet, as opposed to a bar magnet that has its N/S poles at the _ends_ of the magnet. It DOES make a difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: