Great Stuff Expanding Foam


Old 12-17-16, 07:09 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 72
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
* Updated* Great Stuff Expanding Foam

I have a couple of aeas to use this product inside my home under a wall cabinet where some cold air is getting in. The gap(s) are approx 2 inch, which Great Stuff foam would be best for this size. Reason I am asking is I have never used it before but understand that is expands quite a bit. The cans have different gap sizes for use on the can but was curious if it is better to get one that shows a smaller size than the gap I am using it for.

Image uploaded, this is taken with my cell phone from the floor looking up to the area I am referring to. The size is approx 1 inch wide and 2 inches long, my guest is it runs all the way up to the top of the door on the shelf unit.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Paul O'Toole; 12-17-16 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-16, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,640
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
You might want to go with the low expanding foam, it still expands a good bit but not as bad as the regular foam. You need to use a lot of care applying it as the stuff is extra sticky and next to impossible to clean up if it gets on something you don't want it to.

Is it feasible to stuff fiberglass insulation in the hole and then cover it with some wood trim?
Posting a pic or two might garner better suggestions -
Old 12-17-16, 08:08 AM
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 706
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
A picture makes a lot of sense. Great Stuff is fairly easy to use in an open area outside the living space. I suspect that under wall units may present some problems and be more difficult than it's worth. It would be best if you could get under or behind the problem and deal with it from there.

I can't tell if the 2" you're referring to is the width or the length. If it's the width, consider creating something with wood or plywood to fill the gap, then caulk. If 2" is the length and the gap is much less, caulk alone may be the answer. Either way, be mindful of paintability if that's important to you.
Old 12-17-16, 09:36 AM
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 3,138
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can foam can certainly fill that gap, even if you have to do it in a couple of steps. But to use the can foam, the can must be vertical with the straw extending from the bottom. That can make it difficult to get into tight spaces or at funny angles. In that case, using a piece of rigid foam (even Styrofoam that comes as shipping protection) and caulking around it is another option.
Old 12-17-16, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 19,573
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You can't paint foam and it's not able to withstand UV rays, so it won't last long on the outside. As Mark mentioned, sometimes the low expanding product is the best choice as the stuff which expands a lot can actually move structure in the house if you apply it wrong.

Pictures would certainly help get you a less generic answer.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: