How should I repair/protect sun damaged wood fascia?

Old 02-09-16, 01:40 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How should I repair/protect sun damaged wood fascia?

So my wooden fascia (I believe this is the right term, a wooden beam to which gutters are usually attached), are peeling and showing cracks (pics 1&2). Some as large as 1/4 inch (pic3).

Our patio roof is supported by similar vertical wooden beams that are also showing damage. (pic 4)

I was going to repaint but was wondering what I could do to protect or repair the damage to the wood. I remember seeing a wood based product that was being demonstrated for wood in similar condition. But for the life of me I cannot find that website anymore.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-16, 01:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
While there are products that can be used to fill in the cracks/grooves often you are best of just wire brushing or scraping and then applying a primer followed by 1-2 coats of house paint. Making the wood smooth with a filler comes with the added risk that if the filler fails you will then have a big mess.

Old 02-09-16, 02:09 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
There is no going back and fixing that.
Needs to be replaced.
It's called a fascia.
Not sure what that last picture is showing.
It was allowed to go way to long before repainting.
Also that home made looking drip edge is all wrong.
That part sticking out right under the shingles never should have been there.
I'd be removing the rotten wood and replacing then cover with coil stock so there's never any more painting needed.

Old 02-09-16, 03:38 PM
M
Thanks marksr and joecaption.

The wood is actually in surprisingly good shape structurally. It is firm and not rotting, so I am hoping that for now I can do without replacing.

The last picture is a vertical post that supports the patio roof. It is not part of the roof.

I will look into some wood filler at least for the large crack.

Old 02-09-16, 04:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The crack in the 3rd pic could be caulked, I'd just be leery of doing too much to fill in the defects. As Joe said, ideally you'd replace the weathered boards but as long as they are solid it's not imperative that they be replaced. Paint actually adheres better to rough wood, the only caveat being if the old paint is chalky - that chalk needs to be either removed or chemically bound so the latex paint will adhere long term. You can use either an oil base primer or add Flood's EmulsaBond to the 1st coat of latex [primer or paint]

Old 02-10-16, 06:36 AM
M
Thanks Marksr, I appreciate the help.

What exactly is the danger of "doing too much to fill the cracks". Is it that the material can deferentially expand and shatter the wood?

I assume a siliconized acrylic caulk will do the job?

Old 02-10-16, 06:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Filling stabilized cracks with caulk usually doesn't present any issues. It would be rare for caulk or any other filler to shatter the wood but expanding/contracting of the wood with temp/humidity changes can cause the caulk/filler to fail. It is possible that failing filler could trap moisture in the wood causing damage.

A quality siliconized acrylic caulking is generally the preferred caulk for painted areas.