Replacing hardie trim on chimney

Old 02-25-16, 03:07 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing hardie trim on chimney

Hello everyone.

Our house was built in 1997, four-sides brick and hardi trim for the soffits and chimney. The chimney is 4x8 sheets of Hardie board with 1/4" thick x 3 1/2" wide Hardie trim along the vertical corners of the chimney and horizontal pieces under the chimney cap. The Hardie trim on the chimney is starting to separate at many of the end joints. I thought it would be an easy task to replace. However, according to Home Depot (who also called the Hardie rep), the 1/4" thick trim is no longer being produced. The only trim piece they offer now is 3/4" thick.

The problem is the chimney cap, or the metal piece that covers the entire top of the chimney. It has a lip that comes down to 2" to cover the horizontal Hardie trim at the top. It will only allow for a 1/4" thick trim board to fit up under it. I don't really want to replace the chimney cap if I don't need to. The max height of the chimney is 8'.

So what are my options? I would like to stick with Hardi product as much as possible since I've had good luck with it so far. I see that some of the Hardie siding is .3" thick, which I think would work. But the problem would be cutting these long pieces down to 3 1/2" wide. I think I could rig up a station using a 8' long level as a fence to make nice straight cuts. I do understand that I'd need a special blade and probably and old circular saw (I wouldn't want to use the Dewalt for that!). I'm also considering using the 3/4" thick Hardie trim for the vertical trim pieces and cutting a section out of a cedar 3/4" thick by 3 1/2" wide trim piece where one edge would be cut down to the 1/4" thickness to fit under the cap and then a 45 degree angle back to the full thickness. The 45 degree angle would allow water any water to escape. I'm leaning towards this solution.

What would y'all do?

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-16, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 723 Votes on 669 Posts
Use 7 1/4" lap siding. Cut in half, use both sides. Dont use james hardie... use maxiplank of certainteed. Hardie has a dumb bevel and idiot nail line so you can't flip it and use both sides. Caulk edges with osi quad or vulkem.

Old 02-26-16, 06:09 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Picture would be nice.
Hardie trim is 5/4 not 3/4, reason being it needs to stick out beyond the siding laps.
If what you have is delaminating on the ends most often it's because someone did not seal them with paint before installing.
It also should not be within 2" of the roof.

Old 02-26-16, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 723 Votes on 669 Posts
Hardietrim comes in both 4/4 and 5/4. Everything else Joe mentioned is correct. Sounds to me like they used lap siding as trim.

Old 02-29-16, 06:47 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
According to the Hardie website, they offer 4/4 and 5/4, but the 4/4 is actually 0.75" thick according to their own data. Hardie used to make 0.25" thick trim, but it has since been discontinued, thus my dilemma. I also measured the 4/4 Hardie trim at Home Depot and it is actually 13/16" thick.

James Hardie - Products | HardieTrim Boards

I would agree that the ends were probably not sealed after they were cut. I will try and get a picture up soon.

Thanks!