Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

need advice for repairing loose vinyl siding that's over asphalt siding

Old 04-09-16, 02:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have loose vinyl siding that was put over asphalt siding. There is a layer of tar paper between the two types of siding. The J channel is loose in some places, and the nails have worked loose on some of the vinyl siding pieces. The asphalt siding underneath is a little less than 1/4" and is very brittle. Trying to driving a nail through a piece of the asphalt shattered it and the pieces then dropped in uneven chunks behind the tar paper.

In some other places the vinyl siding is loose where it is supposed to attach to the piece below it; it just pops back out when it is re-attached. I can't tell for sure why it won't hold, but there's some punch through nearby for the air conditioner, and that may have put the siding out of alignment.

Finally, there are about 9 or so holes where various cables were once run through the siding but is no longer there. I have about 2' of old spare siding in the right color; I could cut patches but am not sure what kind of adhesive to attach the patches.

1. What would be the best way to put in either nails or screws, to re-attach the vinyl siding's loose J channel and siding pieces? If I just put a longer nail in the old hole I think the siding will just come out again. I could drill new holes through the asphalt siding first, but then would it better to use some type of screw rather than nails, since this channel and siding have already come loose from the board that's under both layers of siding? What would be the best kind of nail or screw for this kind of repair work?

2. For the siding that keeps popping loose, could I use adhesive and a screw or nail to hold the bottom edge of the siding down? Any suggestions about how to do this?

3. Any advice on the best adhesive for the patches?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-16, 03:18 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you mean fiber cement siding, AKA asbestos siding?

Name:  Fiber_Cement_Siding_WeatherSide_Wavy_GAFs.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  home-design.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  22.6 KB

If this is what you mean it should have been removed before the vinyl siding was applied. You can not nail through it. You can drill then nail.

Old 04-09-16, 06:07 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Patching it would look like poop, far better to replace the whole piece.
What's behind the tar paper for sheathing?
Siding needs to be able to expand and contract or it's going to buckle so do not try and glue or face nail it.

Old 04-09-16, 03:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yep

I think you're right. It's probably asbestos, not asphalt. House was built in the 1950s; the vinyl siding is probably about 15 years old; I've had the house for about 1.5 years, and am just trying to fix loose vinyl and if possible patch holes. I only have one spare piece of vinyl siding, about 2' long.

Thanks for confirming that I'll have to drill through the asbestos siding to get to the wood underneath.

Thanks very much.