New Exterior Look - Advice Needed!

Old 05-22-16, 09:51 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Exterior Look - Advice Needed!

Hello!

We have a 50's rambler, or ranch-style depending on where you are from, home that was added on to in the 80's. The original part of the home is all brick, but the addition on the front of the home is white metal siding. The curb appeal of our home is severely lacking, and the neighborhood is starting to turn over to tear-downs and new 1-1/2 story craftsmen-style homes so we're looking for a refresh. We'd love to replace the metal siding, but aren't sure with what, or what other modifications could have a big impact on our home. I'd also like to add there is a small (2' dia) hexagonal window precisely behind the tree in the picture that is a huge eyesore, but is our bathroom window so we're also looking for options to replace that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  house exterior.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  30.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-16, 10:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with what I'm seeing but I'm not seeing the neighboring houses and that might be important. Generally speaking, I think cement board siding is the way to go when trying to upgrade the exterior over wood, vinyl or metal siding. I also think you could do a lot with some landscaping as well.

Old 05-23-16, 03:21 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Depending on your budget and the neighborhood, a replacing the white siding with a stone fašade might complement the brick and be a nice upgrade. Adding it is more involved than replacing with other materials but newer stone veneer materials make it easier than it used to be.

Replacing that small window with a larger window would better balance the window and door. I'm no designer but I think you would want a rectangular format (more tall than wide) to give some symmetry with the bump out and the door. Being a bathroom you have to maintain privacy but there are lots of options for privacy glass these days.

Agree with SS that landscaping could add a lot of appeal. Ideally you would widen the beds and move the plantings farther away from the house. Very common to see foundation plantings way too close to the house, and it looks like you have a nice yard with plenty of room to move them away. I always like to see the beds have some curves and some variation in width so you don't just have a thin parallel strip next to the house. Would give you option to plant a nice shrub or two to screen off the AC unit.