Flashing a window - fixing a previous mistake

Old 05-25-16, 10:07 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flashing a window - fixing a previous mistake

Hi guys,

Before we start - I already know what I did wrong. I now now that my woodbuck should have been wider than the window in order have wood overlapping the window to install flashing.

When I installed this window, I thought that the buck was supposed to be the same width of the window.

At this point, I am trying really hard not to have to take the whole thing out, especially considering the fact that the part inside of the house is already finished.

I was hoping to see what you guys think, and what do you guys think the best way to finish this.

At this point, I am considering ripping a few pieces of wood and attaching it to the existing wood (screwed to the wood or tapconned to the foundation) - with a sill gasket between the wood and the concrete, of course, and then having someone flash that. Does anyone see an issue with that?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm not sure if my solution is a bad call or not.

See pic attached.

Thanks
Nic

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-16, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Probably some of the same suggestions as last time you asked...

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/do...you-flash.html

If you are intent on bending aluminum trim coil on a metal brake, I would probably create a beveled "brickmould" of sorts by running a 2x2 through the saw at an angle. Then apply that like a picture frame, with mitered corners. Cover the edge of the window slightly, so that you can caulk the flashing to the window. But don't get the caulking too close to the edges of the sash or you will have a mess when you crank the window open.

Try not to have the aluminum come into contact with the cement. Aluminum will corrode when in contact with an alkali surface. Also, do not apply the aluminum directly on top of pressure treated wood. The two do not play nice together and the pt wood will eventually eat the aluminum.

If you don't want the hassle of bending aluminum, use Azek pvc (which is also white like your window) to cover the window edge. Then caulk the window to the Azek. And caulk the Azek to the cement. Use a good polyurethane sealant.

Old 05-26-16, 06:54 AM
S
XSleeper, I am asking again because I did what was suggested last time (rebuilding it with cement) and it didn't make it through the winter. It cracked, and I had to chip it all out last weekend. Now I want a different suggestion. I am not a cement expert, and I want to sell the house. I don't want it to crack on the new owners, so I want to use aluminium.

Good memory though..

Old 05-26-16, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Probably was poor cement mix, too many cold joints or wrong type of mortar. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Personally I'd go with the Azek if you want fast and easy.

Old 05-29-16, 07:27 AM
S
Xsleeper, I think the issue was that it got cold over night. It wasn't supposed to go under 5 degrees, it ended up going to -1. It only cracked over winter, but yeah... lesson learned.

I have been looking into the azek and will probably go with that

Old 05-31-16, 08:57 AM
S
I don't know if this a canadian thing, but I can't seem to find any type of PVC trim in any of my local hardware store's websites (even the big box ones).

I looked at the AZEK website, I could order some stuff off of there, but you would think PVC trim should be something that is readily available, no?

Old 05-31-16, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
You would think. Down here Home Depot carries Azek and Lowes has Royal or some other off brand.

Old 06-10-16, 12:53 PM
S
Turns out I'm simply going to hire my buddy and he'll flash it aluminum for me. It'll be simpler that way.
Thanks for the help!