Is it illegal to put asbestos siding back up?

Old 06-27-16, 05:12 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it illegal to put asbestos siding back up?

A couple of Negative Nancies [semi-family, related by marriage] that we have to see briefly but regularly, lately always have a negative comment on our big porch renovation project. Til recently our progress was mostly hidden indoors but now with the good weather we are outside, and you can see the progress, coming along nicely, slowly but surely, as we do all the work ourselves, fitting it in with our other responsibilities. So the Negative Nancies are here about once a week, and they see the fruit of our labor, and they always let us know if anything doesn't look right or we forgot something.

We do not have plans to remove the asbestos siding. We researched it thoroughly and its pretty hard to find anyone to dispose of it anyway. Restoring the clapboard underneath on the whole house would be ideal, but we cannot take that on. We don't want to spend on vinyl siding - and anyway we both agree that that is an unnecessary and wasteful expense. We plan to paint it someday, in a year or two if all goes well. We need to cut costs somewhere on this too-expensive project, and we did not cut costs on insulation, paint, or windows.

So my husband carefully removed the siding of this three-season porch and put it aside. He had done this previously with the other side of the house, where we enclosed an open porch there. We bleached the whole house last year, but not these pieces, so this month we laid those all out in the driveway, and bleached and scrubbed, rinsed, and bleached and scrubbed again, and rinsed and rinsed and let them dry in the sun, and finally stacked them, clean and dry, neatly on the driveway edge. The hope is to make this siding stretch as much as possible, and fill in the rest with GAF cement board from Home Depot (hopefully just for the back).

This week I have come to the conclusion that being nice back to the Negative Nancies is just encouraging them and I will be taking a different tact with them. Because I am steamed about this one. The Negative Nancies were here briefly this week and Mr. Nancie immediately asked me: "Where did you get that asbestos siding you have in the Driveway?" and I told them some of the above, and Mr.Nancie lit into an explanation of asbestos and lung cancer, and I let him know he has the insulation in mind, not the siding, and that we have researched this, and he came back with "You know its illegal to put that stuff back up, don't you?"

Well I had not heard this and I am thinking its too strange that with all the thorough research I did on asbestos siding, I did not ever come across THIS asbestos siding issue. I would have remembered! It seems crazy to me, since we own it, and also basically we cannot throw it out. Also it offends my husband's sense of thrift, and he began to put it up today as planned. He is being careful, watering down the siding he needs to cut, and wearing a proper mask. Still. He was grumpy, and I think a big reason for that is he is anxious now because of what Mr.Neg.Nancie said. He is doing what he wants and thinks is right - putting the siding up as planned - but now he feels conflicted about it and its wearing on him.

So I want to know if this is true. I highly doubt it! I think these folks are steeped in negativity, and, because I have never called them on being rude when they ARE, they are now taking advantage, and pushing the envelope, and I think he made this one up off the top of his head. Or he is just highly unintelligent. But he is certainly smart enough to push our buttons.

Can someone here answer our question -- Can it possibly be illegal? To put your own siding back up?? I live in Connecticut. Thanks.

Old 06-27-16, 05:26 PM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
I'm not a pro or an expert.

Illegal in this instance is a slippery slope. Suppose you never took it down and still made repairs and/or remodel? It would not be illegal. Had you hired a professional, then yes it would be illegal to use it. Besides it's outside, not inside or being breathed. The fact that you are taking extreme cautions is a plus. Suppose you were restoring a historic building? I don't think it would be illegal. Again great precautions are being taken. The fact that the siding is not being used in a dynamic way, only in a static manner, i doubt very much if any thing can be wrong. Ask your naysayers to provide specific written proof that re-using existing siding is illegal. Ask them to back up their expertise. If they can't then tell them case closed, keep quite.

Me thinks they are a jealous type because they can't do the things you hubby does.

Old 06-27-16, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
You need to concentrate on the facts.

I'm not the pro here but from what I know..... the asbestos siding should have been removed by a licensed abatement contractor and taken to a proper landfill.

I would severely doubt that you can put it back up.

The pros will stop by and add their opinions.

Old 06-27-16, 05:37 PM
I did a quick Google and I think I need to re think my original reply. It appears that re-use of asbestos siding is a no no.

However, since it's done and basically back to it's original form, it's no longer a point of discussion. It's installed as it was originally. Now that it's up it no longer poses a problem any more so than any other house with existing siding.

Old 06-27-16, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
No pro on asbestos, either, but since you now have a 3 season porch, it will become mostly "inside', and I would not want any asbestos, whether friable or not, in such an area. Outside, no problem. I would make the porch a showcase area and decorate the walls differently, even considering another type siding, such as T&G, T1-11, bead board paneling, etc.

Edit: Oops, missed the part about it being up.

Old 06-27-16, 05:40 PM
Oops, I missed the fact that it is now an indoor dwelling. Cover it up with T111 or other material.
Lick you bruised pride and move on. Admitting you were wrong is not the end of the world.

Old 06-27-16, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,573 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Connecticut looks like it's one of the blue states where the gov't loves to paint you into a corner with all of its laws and regulations on this.

CT Asbestos Siding Removal Regulations | eHow

DEEP: Special Waste or Asbestos Disposal Authorization Fact Sheet (looks like disposal application fees are waived for homeowners)

Old 06-27-16, 05:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Or maybe it was fiber cement. It looks the same. without a lab test so who knows. Sources of Replacements for Asbestos-Cement Wall Siding & Fiber Cement Roof Shingle Cutters

Old 06-27-16, 06:32 PM
It sounds like your relative is a stickler for the rules and I can't blame them. Probably could have used better tact explaining it to you.
I don't think this is a DIY question, the rules for treatment of asbestos are available.
For instance, I'm state and EPA certified in lead removal, but I would not instruct someone how to do it on this site. I could also not approve any work they performed with any confidence.

This is a can of worms.

Old 06-28-16, 01:34 AM
H
I agree with those who say that since this is a three season porch it shouldn't have been put back up. As a matter of fact I would probably want to get rid of all of the old siding but have a licensed contractor do it. I recently hired professionals to remove asbestos tile from our basement floor and I was glad I did as I know how dangerous it can be to handle it yourself even when taking precautions. It had to be done though if I ever wanted to sell my old rental house to a new family and the new flooring looks ten times better.

I will not lie to you and say the asbestos testing and removal by licensed contractors was cheap it wasn't it was fairly expensive but it gave me peace of mind knowing that the job was done properly. It also protected my health and allowed me to do other things such as tear out the old basement ceiling as it was looking bad and it tested negative for asbestos.

Old 06-28-16, 05:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
When dealing with lead paint, homeowners have a little more leeway than contractors do. The same might be true with asbestos. Personally I'm not scared of asbestos siding - I've painted miles of it over the years. The main health concerns is when it's drilled or cut! Not sure I'd reuse it inside the porch but IMO there is nothing wrong with reusing the pieces [with due care] to fill in where work has been done to the house.

Old 06-28-16, 05:14 AM
Marksr, we think alike. But the general consensus is to cover and/or replace. And I now agree as read more replies. PJ's reply #3 says it all. Too much emotion is being used in OP's post.

Old 06-28-16, 05:45 AM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was what we used for for that siding."Antique" Vintage Very RARE Handy Shingle Cutter Model F 1939 | eBay It cut it like a guillotine and punched holes for nails too. Pretty big and heavy.

Old 06-28-16, 08:15 AM
When dealing with lead paint, homeowners have a little more leeway than contractors do. The same might be true with asbestos. Personally I'm not scared of asbestos siding - I've painted miles of it over the years. The main health concerns is when it's drilled or cut!
I'm going to backtrack a little on my response. I don't feel comfortable advising anyone how to deal with removal and disposal of hazardous materials, but I do feel comfortable advising someone how to live with the material and be safe/take precautions.

So whether the material is asbestos or lead, the best way to deal with it is to leave it undisturbed.

The argument can be made that mistakes were made, but now the material is back in place and what to do about it?
You already know what to do to protect your family from this point forward, leave the material alone.
As Mark said, no sanding, boring, etc.

Old 07-14-16, 04:14 PM
F
I am sorry I did not get back right away. I was very glad to get the replies and considered them all carefully. We realize now because what Xsleeper quoted here that it was illegal by CT laws to take down our own asbestos. However, we did not know. We had taken them all off last year, and other previous to that. And the town is full of asbestos-sided houses, and if they town was worried about people taking down their own asbestos you'd think they'd have said something when we applied for our permit. The building inspector also said nothing. At any rate, they were already down (my husband knows how to be careful) and already scrubbed, and they are difficult to dispose of legally. There are no laws about putting them back up on your own house so my husband proceeded, wearing mask and using water when he sawed them. He got up the front side which was real nice to see. Then I saw Guyold's post about the cutter and decided we should try that. And I found one! It finally arrived yesterday. Its huge! And it weights 54 pounds!

Here is the one I got: Antique 1920's Cast Iron The Improved Handy Asbestos Shingle Cutter Model F Tool | eBay

I don't know if that link will work for a sold item, but the one we got is just like Guyold's.

Thanks so much for the excellent suggestion, Guyold! We are grateful! My husband stopped work after completing the front wall (and we put the extra asbestos in the back of the house out of the way), and he decided to wait until it the cutter came before any more siding. So he used it today, and he was amazed at how well it cut - its far, far easier than using the saw - very simple and highly precise (like the saw is not). My husband is very, very glad with how much easier the rest of this job will be. He will use up the asbestos, then we will buy the GAF cement board siding from Home Depot, and we assume that the cement board will cut similarly with the cutter.

Then I will have to figure out how to match the house color for that. Because the old asbestos is two shades of cream. But I want it to look good until we paint the house, which won't be til after we improve the trim, which is bad.

Marksr - so you have painted lots of asbestos? We do hope to paint this. I have read and seen that it is very stable - it lasts and last because there is no expansion, contraction like wood. We would like to use Fine Paints of Europe Water-based Satin Exterior paint for the siding when that time comes (it won't be this year for sure!). But when we do finally paint the house, we will "seal" the asbestos siding, making it even more "safe" - don't you think?

Also Marksr, the trim on our house is in a bad state; much peeling lead paint, and ugly because when they put up the asbestos siding they used a thin trim board to extend the window trim edge, that just does not look right. Ugly. We are experimenting with the house window that adjoins the new porch room redo - we pried off the trim board, and I painted the new boards my husband cut to fit right over the old peeling paint boards. They aren't up yet. But the next part will be to fit some thin fill boards and seal off edges and joins with chalk and paint, and we might have to make a couple of other adjustments after we see this first effort. But this way we cover up the old lead paint without disturbing it, and it will look right - I hope. (Handyone - sounds like a good plan, right? Cover the lead with new boards, caulk and seal. The Hollandlac paint we are using should last at least 20 years...).

Norm, it is an indoor dwelling now, but it used to be a three season porch, the kind made with rows of storm windows, and I think all the asbestos came off the old outdoor walls. I think you are right, they are jealous of my husband. I was upset primarily because it was stressing out my husband. (Fortunately the new cutter tool Guyold recommended is taking a LOT of stress off the job and that makes up for a lot!) And I was upset with myself because I feel that my being polite with their rudeness over time was only making them more rude and bold. I realized because of this that it was past time they got natural consequences - like me not feeling chatty at all with them. Now I don't go out to greet them anymore, I wait til they come to the door, and then I am very polite but distant and brief, not inviting a chat. They are the parents of my husband's granddaughter's deadbeat Dad (substance abuse), so they have grandchild time and we are at a midway point so besides the childcare we do we are a drop-off/pickup point for their visits. So they no real relation, and are doing them a favor we are glad to do to help the Mom (and them). I will always be polite, but I realize that being friendly with folks who are not friendly in return and seem to have little or any evidence of good will towards us was not wise.

hedgeclippers - I am glad you were able to hire professionals to get the job done. We are truly do-it-yourselfers, though, and hiring professionals for this was not an option we had. We do work safely, though, and we thoroughly research what we do beforehand. We know from our research that siding, like flooring, is not one of the more dangerous manifestations of asbestos. But both are not fun jobs to do and if you can hire out some of the bad parts of a project that's always a good thing, especially when the job is BIG.

Old 07-14-16, 06:20 PM
Faith, Thanks for the follow up replies. How about a few pics as you go along?

Old 07-15-16, 05:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
We would like to use Fine Paints of Europe Water-based Satin Exterior paint for the siding
I'm not familiar with that paint but basically any quality latex house paint will do a good job. It is important to wash off any chalk! Latex paint won't adhere long term to chalk. When the chalk can't [or too much work] be washed off you need to either apply an oil base primer or add Flood's EmulsaBond to the first coat of latex. Spraying on a oil base masonry conditioner is also an option. Not sure that encapsulating asbestos shingles makes them safer. Basically the only danger is when they are cut or broke where minute particles can get airborne.

I painted the new boards my husband cut to fit right over the old peeling paint boards. They aren't up yet.
Not sure I follow If you do laminate over the old trim with new wood you need to make sure that moisture won't get in between the two. Window trim will require flashing at the top. As Norm said, pics would be nice - both to see the progress and better understand what you are doing or needs to be done. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-17-16, 01:46 PM
F
Yes, I will post pics soon, as we have "kept track" on our computer. Thanks Marksr for the link of how-to, as I need that. I was messing one day and think I learned how to adjust the size of my online pics (at least visually) which has been my problem before when I tried to post here. I am going to try to figure out how to follow those directions soon (I am slow with technology) and maybe I won't have to ask my husband to do it for me (who would be willing, but he is busy).

When I post pics I can show you the problem with the window trim we are trying to fix with our own creative solution.

I have always been really really picky about paint, always looking for better. A few years ago I discovered Fine Paints of Europe and I was so excited. They are more expensive but then its even hard to say if that's actually true because they last SO LONG. And since the expense of painting if far, far more the prep and the time to paint than it is the expensive of the paint. So its really worth it, IMO. we'd ratehr not feel it needs paint again. Their Hollandlac Brilliant is my inspiration for my door (and pair of shutters on new room exterior), and here is my inspiration pic, usign the door color I woudl like: http://www.marshalljohnsonpainting.c.../IMG_18721.jpg

Meanwhile my husband is very happily putting up the rest of the asbestos siding. He is inspired even to do the parts he said were going to be really hard. He seems to be really enjoying it. I am glad.

Old 07-18-16, 04:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Better quality paints are rarely more expensive in the long run. They often cover better and almost always wear better. Compared to labor the increased cost is minimal. Sometimes diyers forget that their labor is worth something too.

I'm also slow when it comes to the things that can be done on a pc my grandson can do more on one than me, of course his years of computer use is close to the same as mine Glad the reno is going well!

Old 07-20-16, 02:22 AM
H
A good paint doesn't need to be an expensive paint but if you are happy with the paint you are using that is the important thing. Thank for your updates yes you are right my project was large and some things I felt were beyond my skill set so I deferred to the professionals. I did remove some old cabinets though and also removed bad door frames and bad doors in addition to what I already told you about. There is a program that will help you resize your pictures called PixResizer and it will help you post here. Here is the link PixResizer - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com.

The program is free and it has helped me resize many of my pictures both for here and for e-mailing too as there is usually a size limit for e-mail too. If you follow Pjmax instructions for posting here you shouldn't have any problems. I wouldn't use Photobucket though except for better clarity as the pictures that come from there may turn out to be a bit large for most peoples computer screens. In my opinion it is better to post directly here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: