Hanging heavy item on stucco

Old 07-09-16, 03:58 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hanging heavy item on stucco

The really wasn't a good match on forums to put this. I need to hang a 40-50 pound item with a wire (think like heavy mirror) on an outside wall finished in stucco/drivet.

The idea is to put 2 screws into 2 studs slightly angled up and hang the wire over them.

The place was built around 2000 and has metal studs. I bought a couple hefty exterior screws, but my stud finder was unable to locate the studs through the stucco. I don't want to start making holes everywhere as this is in a prominent position. I could start measuring from a corner, but that seems like it will be hit or miss (16" on center studs, probably double in corners).

I am also a little concerned about using screws into the metal studs. Though I know they hold up the drywall in my house, that is with many screws in one sheet. This would be 1 screw per stud.

Any suggestions or other ideas on mounting this?

Old 07-09-16, 06:43 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
From what I gather from reading on other forms a typical fine thread drywall screw seems to be the choice of many builders. But at the same time many claim a typical sheet metal screw in fine. I don't think your weight is a big concern as you think. If you're using two screws with a wire you are dividing that weight to two 25 pound units. As long at you hit the stud I think you'll be fine. If not use a toggle bolt.

Old 07-09-16, 06:54 PM
M
I agree, but a drywall screw will rust outside.

Old 07-09-16, 07:00 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
There are variety of screws you can use. Coated deck screws or stainless steel sheet metal screws.

Old 07-09-16, 08:25 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
WHOA! If you have DRYVIT or any brand of Exterior Insulation and Finish you have foam attached to the studs. He foam can be anywhere from 3/4" to 2". The risk, if this is indeed you have DRYVIT or any other brand of EIFS th screw can bend between th stud and the outside finish, bend in th foam. There is not an anchor that will hold against pullout in th foam. Th thickness of the coating is about 1/8", not nough to hold anything.

BUT the foam may be attached to the studs over USB or plywood. That will hold the screws but there is still a bending risk. If you have lumber behind th foam. You can put screws n anywhere and they will hold. Maybe you can distribute the weight on more than two screws. Angle them steeply so even if they bend they will support the weight on the wire. The larger the head of the screw the better. K-Lath screws with a wafer head are a good bet.

Old 07-10-16, 07:19 AM
M
I'm going to remove an interior tv connector plate and see if I can poke around and look for plywood.

Old 07-10-16, 09:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You need to also try and determine the thickness of the entire wall which will give you/us a better idea as to what type of stucco wall you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: