Repainting painted vinyl-coated steel siding

Old 09-14-16, 11:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repainting painted vinyl-coated steel siding

My house has exterior peeling paint/vinyl all the way down to the metal. I found out that the siding is/was white vinyl-coated steel (galvanized since it is magnetic?) put on in the mid-90's. The next owner decided to paint right on top of the vinyl (not sure if they prepped/primed at all; I don't think so, looks like one coat only on top of the vinyl coating; in some places not even a full coat--as seen in 3rd attached picture). The sides that are exposed to the most weather (south, east and west) have multiple peeling spots (vinyl and paint) all the way down to the metal. The north side has no peeling whatsoever and is in very good shape. Places that aren’t peeling on the exposed sides look very secure. The next owners decided to "patch paint" the bare metal spots that were peeling (no prepping) and those spots are very secure also (although, they didn't totally peel off the bad spots which led to further peeling of those already peeling areas--as seen in the 2nd attached picture). The patch paint they used was "Pittsburgh Paint--Exterior Latex--100% Acrylic Formula--Satin." (The paint was purchased in 2011, so I don't know if it was the "original" color and/or paint, or matched via a paint chip). In bright sunlight, the repainted spots over the bare metal (with no base coat) do have a slightly lighter shade than the original "painted" vinyl-coating.

I’ve consulted a few "experts" (professional painters, contractors, Sherwin-Williams); they aren’t sure what to think. But at the time that I consulted with them I did not have the "painted-over-vinyl-coated" part of the puzzle. Without that info, the "experts" were concluding/guessing that several of the galvanized steel panels had a defective coating from the factory. The contractors say to tear the siding off and re-side with vinyl (not surprised since that more than doubled their estimates). I really like the steel and would like to repaint it correctly (or close) if that is possible.

One thing that gives me hope is that the bare metal areas that were just "top coated" by the previous owners are still very secure and that was over 5 years ago. (If I repaint, I would try to match the current color since I don't want to repaint the north "secure" side.) Any ideas on the best way to proceed? Thanks!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-16, 11:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I suspect that the paint was applied over a chalky surface and paint doesn't adhere long term to chalk. When it isn't feasible to remove ALL the chalk I normally add Flood's EmulsaBond to the first coat of latex. I'd clean it up the best I could and reevaluate. The siding's condition will dictate how to proceed. It might be as simple as applying a fresh coat of paint or might be more involved.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 09-14-16, 11:35 AM
B
Thanks for the welcome!

Was the chalky surface on the vinyl coating prior to the first repainting or on the steel prior to the vinyl coating being adhered at the factory (since that's the part that is peeling)?

Old 09-14-16, 11:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I think Mark misunderstood and thought it was the paint which is peeling. It's actually the vinyl?

Old 09-14-16, 12:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe I misunderstood Looking at the pics I assume it's blue vinyl coating and the paint over that coating is what has peeled. I would think that the steel siding would be slick [not grain textured] under the vinyl. The only steel lap siding I've painted was a lot older, probably from the 50's.

If it is the vinyl wrap that is peeling you'd need to remove all that is loose, prime and then paint.

Old 09-14-16, 02:55 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
I just would not have the patients, I would just get rid of all of it and install new vinyl siding.

Old 09-14-16, 03:06 PM
B
Yes, it is the vinyl (that was later painted) that is peeling. The steel siding is grain textured. I think the “blue” you are referring to is actually the textured “now” bare metal. The middle image shows the bare metal on the middle right with just paint (no prime) on metal to the left with peeling painted vinyl coating right above. The top most section is the original (white) vinyl coated steel with a coating of paint on top of the white vinyl coating. Many of those sections seem secure.

I’m following your line of thinking: peel off what we can get off and then prime and paint. Are there any precautions to take to ensure the best outcome of matching the color of what does not get stripped off?

Old 09-14-16, 03:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can either get more of the paint you already have or have it matched at a paint store. You could take a larger piece of the peeled coating and have them match it but it might be faded.

If you are asking about just touching up the affected areas - that won't work well. It's better to repaint an entire side/section.

Old 09-14-16, 03:57 PM
B
Okay, thanks for the input. I really would like to "save" this siding, if possible. It really looks fantastic where it is not peeling! :grin:

Old 09-15-16, 05:57 AM
B
One last question for clarification: On the sections that are still very secure, can I just paint over them "as is" without trying to strip them down to the bare metal like the peeling areas? (I think this would be difficult).

Old 09-15-16, 06:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, just make sure they are clean/chalk free!

Old 09-15-16, 06:33 AM
B
Thanks again. If it turns out good, I'll post "before" and "afters."

(If not, I've already picked out the CertainTeed color I want. )

Old 10-16-16, 11:48 AM
B
The "After" Shots

Finally found a good painting contractor. I'm VERY happy with the results. Hopefully, it will "weather well" over the winter.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Attached Images   
Old 10-16-16, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks good

If he did the proper prep it should hold up for many years.