Repairing T1-11 water damage ?

Old 09-26-16, 01:38 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing T1-11 water damage ?

Hello,

Backside of my 2 story house (built in 1983) has T1-11. There are two horizontal seams covered by 1x4. Top edge of 1x4s are caulked but as expected, water finds a way down into seam and the old flashing (I suspect original) is cracked and brittle. Water is getting behind the siding and running down to the vinyl windows and then leaking in behind them. This is happening on the 2nd story seam as well as the 1st.

I pulled some 1x4 to look and as expected the top sheets are rotten approx. 6" up from the bottom. The tops of the lower sheets are fine.
Name:  IMG_7392.jpg
Views: 7460
Size:  50.5 KB
Name:  IMG_7393.jpg
Views: 8782
Size:  50.1 KB

I know T1-11 is terrible stuff but I really don't want the expense of redoing the whole wall (I've got 2 quotes already, both around $3500). I was thinking I could cut out the rotten stuff and put in some new pressure treated T1-11 in the gap and z flash. Of course then I'm left with 2 seams which means double the chances of water getting in but I figure if I flash the heck out of them I should be good. I would cover the cut out areas with a beveled piece of cedar siding to help alleviate water from pooling which is what was happening with the 1x4.

So question is, any ideas or tips on how to best go about this? I've not done much exterior siding/flashing work so I'm also open to other ideas.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-26-16, 01:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've never understood why some builders like to install that 1x4 as it will always cause problems, sooner or later

Probably the cheapest fix would be to measure and cut a straight line removing the bottom portion of the top T-111. You'd then slip flashing under the T-111 [similar to the flashing shown behind the 1x4] and then insert a 1x the same width as what you cut out.

Old 09-27-16, 05:44 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, seems like a poor design. Caulk is always going to fail with all the moisture and contraction/expansion.
I like your idea of putting a 1x in there instead of more T111. Now I get to have fun cutting it all out 2 stories up Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: