Olympic Oil Based Solid Color Stain

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 09:41 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Olympic Oil Based Solid Color Stain

Since it was new my house has been stained every few years with Olympic Oil Based Solid Color Stain (contains Linseed oil). It is to the point where it needs to be done again due to the south side getting a little chalky looking. I went to the store where I normally by the product and could not find it. I called Olympic to see what was up and they said they had to take it off the market due to environmental concerns.

They said I needed to strip the product off the house before I could use another one of their products. The house is rough sawn vertical board and batten cedar. The stain is soaked into the wood, there is no way this stuff is coming off.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Thank you in advance.

BWSwede

Old 09-27-16, 09:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Clean off what you can of the chalk, wire brush/scrape any loose stain and apply a latex solid stain with Flood's Emulsa Bond added. The EB will both promote adhesion over any remaining chalk and any unweathered oil base stain. I switched from solid oil to solid latex stain many times in the past with no ill effects.

Old 09-27-16, 01:18 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thank you for your prompt reply. I have never used the products you are recommending. Is the latex solid stain thin like the old oil based stain or is it thick like latex paint?

Thanks again,
BWSwede

Old 09-27-16, 01:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Latex solid stain is a little thicker than oil base solid stain. I suppose you could describe it as a thin paint. If you were to stain one raw board with solid oil and the other with solid latex stain - they would look similar .... although the oil tends to fade sooner than the latex, at least in the southeast [not sure about northern locations]

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: