Replacing fascia - reattach furring strip

Old 11-21-16, 07:37 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing fascia - reattach furring strip

Help please! We're in the process of replacing some rotted soffit and all of our fascia. Our setup seems to be pretty standard from what I've researched (excuse me if I call things incorrectly - I'll do my best). We have an 8 inch fascia, with a 1x2 furring strip nailed in to it all the way through to the 2x6, and an aluminum drip edge over that resting on the furring strip. We've devised a way to remove the furring strip and fascia without damaging the good pieces of soffit or the drip edge.

My question involves how to reattach new furring strips. We tried attaching it directly to the fascia before inserting the fascia between the 2x6 and drip edge - but that is causing us some issues making sure the edge of the soffit is properly covered AND the furring strip staying under the drip edge.

SO - we've concluded that we cannot do it that way as we need to be able to adjust the fascia as we reattach it to keep it level and covering the soffit..yadda yadda yadda.

Is there ANY alternative way to attach that furring strip without removing the drip edge? We feel that's beyond our skill level and we really cannot afford to have it done. I've even suggested liquid nails! Miracles welcome.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-16, 07:58 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Would it help to use wider pieces of fascia, say 1x10, attach the furring strip, put it all in place, and then strike a chalk line and cut the fascia on the line, in place, with a circ saw?

That way you don't have to get both edges aligned at the same time and you get a nice clean, straight bottom edge of the fascia. You could even tack up a 1x2 to guide the saw in a nice straight line.

Old 11-22-16, 06:53 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Fascia

the 2x6
Where is the 2x6? Subfacia, rafter end, roof truss end, other?

Old 11-22-16, 07:55 AM
K
It's the sub-fascia. And to meet the 25 character requirement...Good morning!

Old 11-22-16, 07:59 AM
K
That's an option... but we're looking at around 400 linear feet of fascia and I'm afraid we'd mess that up big time.... I'll put that on my list of possibilities! Thanks.

Old 11-22-16, 03:44 PM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Furring Strip

I would nail the furring strip separately and then nail in the new fascia.

Old 11-23-16, 06:34 PM
K
That's the problem ... First, the fascia goes on the subfasia, the furring goes on the fascia..and under the drip edge. We cannot nail the furring to anything because the drip edge is in the way and we don't want to remove or bend back the drip edge. I think we've decided to use a construction adhesive after attaching the fascia... But thanks!