Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Small house from 1971 with grooved cedar shingles and in need of repaint

Old 01-08-17, 12:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have a small ranch house from 1971 that has cedar shingles in pretty bad need of scraping and repaint. I've got pictures of my shingles on this forum somehow, but am not sure really how to find them. It seems under "profile" I can only see back a limited number of my posts.

Anyways, I was thinking last night after being in HD that maybe it might be better to just put on new cedar shingles? Is it cheaper to just scrape and powerwash and then repaint the current ones? They seem to me like they're in ok shape, but I'm no expert of course.

Actually, it's the scraping and powerwashing that I dread and really don't know how to do anyways and so if I hire someone to do it this spring/summer I wouldn't mind painting the house as it's very small.

What about going vinyl? I really don't like the look, but ...

Opinions?

Thanks

Old 01-08-17, 02:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
IMO there is no need to replace the shingles with new shingles if the existing are sound. Care must be used when pressure washing so you don't damage the shingles or force water where it doesn't belong.

The big selling factor for vinyl is the reduced maintenance.

Old 01-24-17, 07:39 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm currently in process of renovating a house that is 104 years old. I am pulling the vynil siding off and elated to find cedar shingles intact ( for the most part ) underneath. After researching a lot on how to refinish them, I have learned not to power wash them. It just forces water where water isn't meant to be. If any are in need of replacement, search YouTube and there are plenty of videos on how to replace just one. I've don't it and it really isn't bad to do. If the house has a certain character and the cedar adds to it, don't kill it off by just putting vynil over it

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: