Cover siding or replace it?

Old 03-24-17, 09:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cover siding or replace it?

I have a house that needs a change of appearance. My wife would like vinyl siding so that is the plan this spring. My house currently has clapboard siding with overlaps. Originally, I had been planning to simply use a moisture barrier and put the vinyl siding right on top. I've never done siding myself, but my friend has and said it shouldn't a problem to just put the siding right over the clapboard. (Of course the wrap barrier would be included.)

However, I was just reading on a couple of different sites that to do it properly, you should put furring on each board, followed by foam board, and then the moisture barrier. Another website advised to never do it.

It seems like a lot of work, so would it be better/easier to rip off the old clapboard and start fresh?

I'm also nervous about the windows looking funny if the wall is too thick.

Old 03-24-17, 11:39 PM
G
you can put the siding on craigslist for free, taker must remove it, but keep an eye on them to not damage your building paper under the siding etc, although you'll probably want to redo that paper anyway, and damage is probably inevitable. You can also sell the clapboards and buyer removed them, they can go for quite a bit.

Old 03-25-17, 02:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It certainly help us if we could see what you see. If you could post a couple of pictures of the house, say at about 30' away, it would allow us to give better advice.

As far as allowing someone to remove the siding from your house, don't. We'll see what you have and get good information to you.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-27-17, 07:49 AM
B
It's raining outside so I didn't feel like running out to get a picture, but here is one from the original listing of the house before we actually bought it. Note, I've done a lot of work so the landscaping doesn't look like this anymore.

As you can see, the pale blue clapboard with bright blue shutters has to go. The wife is done with it so this spring I either paint it, or cover/replace it with vinyl.

Name:  10552620_896459172167_1376061260735379616_n.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  38.3 KB

Old 03-27-17, 08:48 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is there sheathing under the siding. Here there would be nothing but studs and paper under the siding. It is my understanding that vinyl siding can't go directly on the studs, not rigid enough or maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-27-17 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 09:01 AM
B
Hmm, I'm not sure. How can I tell?

Old 03-27-17, 10:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
You might ask the neighbors if they know how their houses are constructed. House of the same age/area often use the same building practices.

Painting would be cheapest although vinyl siding will result in less maintenance down the road.

Old 03-27-17, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
I would be 99% sure there is sheathing. Personally I would tear off the old siding and any corner trim. Leave all the existing window trim, then apply z-flashing over the windows, then housewrap, then new siding. If you dont want to paint your window trim you will probably want to hire someone to remove the storm windows and clad it, then either reinstall the storms or get new ones.

Old 03-27-17, 07:43 PM
B
The house was built in 1968, if that helps, and it is in New Hampshire.

We definitely plan to paint the trim. My friend, who has sided a few houses before, thought we could just throw vinyl up on the walls without anything more than house wrap. If that is true, and it looks good (doesn't make the windows look funny) then that would be preferred since it would be easiest. But, the ultimate goal is to sell the house in a couple of years so I want to make sure it looks good.

Old 03-27-17, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
Going over the existing siding WILL make the windows look recessed. Some people don't mind it, others can't stand it. Putting only housewrap over the siding is kind of risky, when the nails fall in the voids left by your old clapboard siding, the siding will have a lot of play in and out. Its better to go over that type of siding with a thin fanfold underlayment which gives you a flatter surface than just housewrap alone. It really doesn't cost anything to tear the old siding off other than your time.

Old 03-29-17, 09:34 PM
G
I agree remove the siding in this situation instead of fanfolding over it and then siding over that. It's not too much sq footage and not 2 stores and looks like it should go rather smoothly, no bushed in the way etc.

To see if there's sheathing, I would just make small hole(s) inside though the drywall in inconspicuous areas and then spackle the patch back on. Or very carefully drill holes from the outside making sure to not hit a pipe/wire, possibly use a ~$25 stud finder that can detect wires and pipes and has deep scan mode to use from the outside (thicker material that drywall especially if there's sheathing). Or remove one small clapboard.
I know houses from around that time with rectangle cement board and no sheathing.

If there's sheathing, you can probably get ~$250 for the clapboards on craigslist, maybe more depending material and condition.

Use a razor in the seam where two boards connect to break the paint cleanly, and should come out relatively easy with a flat bar and a hammer. Pry near the nails. Once the nail head pops up, pry it from the wood instead of prying the wood and the nail out at the same time - if the nails are tight. Might need a nail puller aka cat's paw for some nails, so get the smallest one you can find, the smaller the nail puller, the smaller the gouge it makes.

I'd take photos of the process to maybe show potential buyers because 'siding over' can look like a band aid to hide problems plus the potential to bubble and kink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: